Thread: Firefox Script Warning Problem, Tried Fix. Can Anyone help?

Smile Firefox Script Warning Problem, Tried Fix. Can Anyone help?

Hi! Hoping someone can help me.

Using Windows XP Pro, have an administrator account and 2 user accounts. Firefox working fine on administrator and one user account.

Second user account is taking a long time to start Firefox 2, then gets the Warning: Unresponsive Script (A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.) every time. Tried the about: config fix replacing with different higher numbers and that didn't work (the number was set to the 10 default, same as on the other user accounts where Firefox is working fine. It also gives this warning when I try firefox safe mode. No add-ons other than talkback, no toolbars. Tried changing homepage several times, this didn't help either. Only does this on startup. Spybot & adaware not finding anything, no viruses found with Norton.

Getting lots of warning messages on error console, first ones that appear say pagead2.googlesyndication.com

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? I'm not very tech savvy, but I can follow directions.

Gratefully,
    Ghostowl

It could be a corrupt profile...
    Firefox Profile is Corrupt
    If you're very, very unlucky, your Firefox profile might become corrupt, which mean that files within the profile are damaged. If this happens, Firefox may fail to start up, or it may look odd after startup. Very rarely, this problem occurs when you import complicated bookmark files. More frequently, the problem arises when you start altering the Firefox chrome, which is a subject that's not covered in this book.
    If you suspect corruption, the first thing you should do is create a new profile and use it to start Firefox. To do so, run Firefox using the createProfile command line option. If Firefox starts up, you can be quite sure that there's a problem with your original profile. If it still refuses to launch, you may have to uninstall Firefox.
    You can try repairing the profile by hand if you suspect that it has gone bad. This is recommended only for the technical and the extremely careful, as repairing a corrupt profile is tricky business. If you backed up your profile folder, you can restore it. If not, you can salvage the situation by creating a new profile and copying any important files from the corrupt profile to the new, working one. The important files to copy include:
    • bookmarks.html: this file contains your bookmarks
    • user.js: this file stores your user preferences
    • prefs.js: the file that stores your Firefox preferences
    • chrome/userContent.css: this file contains user styles for viewed Web pages
    • chrome/userChrome.css: the file that stores your customizations to the appearance of Firefox menus, toolbars, and scrollbars
    • cookies.txt: your cookies are stored here
    • signons.txt: your user login information is stored here
    • hostperm.1: this file stores permissions for hosts. In this file, Firefox makes a record of sites that are allowed to show popups and/or install extensions
    If this approach fails, you'll have to uninstall and reinstall Firefox from scratch.
    http://software.newsforge.com/articl...43254&from=rss

Check the site out, it may answer your question.

HTH
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Please create an identical user account, and let me know if that works. If it does, delete the old one and rename the new. They get corrupted

actually, firefox profile is stored in documents and settings\username\application data\

so you could just delete that, save the rest of the settings.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.