Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2000 and XP

Windows 2K and XP DST 2007

As you are all aware, the DST2007 change took place yesterday.

With XP workstations, there was a patch that was applied.

With windows 2000, you had to modify the registry. I modified the windows registry on the 2k workstations as recoomended by microsoft with a start up script via active directory.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387/en-us

I went around and did "spot checks" usint "tzedit.exe" to verify that the workstation had the correct timezone information.

Exchange 2000 was a whole other story but that seems to be fine via workaround.

Today, users are calling saying that their time didn't change. I look at the workstation and the time zone is set correctly (GMT -5 Eastern Time US and Canada) and there is a check in Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes. However, the clock is off by one hour. This is happening on BOTH 2K AND XP workstations...

via command prompt, issue a net time and get this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\teller02>net time
    Current time at \\timesvr is 3/12/2007 8:45 AM

Local time (GMT-04:00) at \\timesvr is 3/12/2007 9:45 AM

The command completed successfully.
    Where the hell is it getting the GMT -4?
    The timesvr machine has the correct time and timezone...

If I change the time zone from GMT -5 Easter Time to GMT -5 Indiana Time and then back again... the time is correctly updated! I don't get it.
    Last edited by phishphreek; March 13th, 2007 at 02:24 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    DST is technically GMT -4 (for EST timezones)

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ok, but Windows still calls it GMT -5. The workstations are off by one hour when reading GMT -4. As soon as you change the time zone and put it back, it's fixed.

Note: On the time clock, it does say easter daylight time when the automatically adjust is checked off...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    And the checkbox for "Automatically adjust for DST" is checked?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AOs Resident Troll
    I used the DST download from this site on all my 2000 workstations...

http://www.intelliadmin.com/Daylight...tSavingFix.exe

Have had no issues with time change....although I did not apply to any servers...they are all 2003

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Mittens is correct you are GMT -4 for a few days

This sounds like a minor oversight in the work around........... as soon as you change the time and then reset it you are OK? I bet that would be the same as if you started (and therefore ran the script) then rebooted?

A lot of things need bump starting........... with MS it is usually a warm reboot, other stuff like FireFox just need you to close and reopen the application?

Actually, changing the time zone does not fix it.

I have to uncheck the option to adjust the time zone. Press apply. THen check it off again and press apply. Then it is fixed.

Freaking weird.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Phish,
    Microsoft uses Pacific Time in the example below, but apparently they wanted users to change the time zone twice to make the fix work. I found this info somewhere in the middle of that MS article you linked.
    h. Click Start, point to Settings, point to Control Panel, and then double-click Date/Time.
    i. Click the Time Zone tab.
    j. Select a different time zone than the (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada); Tijuana time zone, and then click Apply.
    k. Click (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada); Tijuana, and then click OK.

Note Steps j and k are required for the new changes to take effect.
    I was actually having the same problem with my 2000 clients until I changed the time zone like MS says. BTW, I like that time zone tool - not that it will come in very handy anytime soon
    Last edited by ShagDevil; March 12th, 2007 at 05:21 PM.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

ShagDevil: Thanks, somehow I overlooked that. It's weird though, this only happened on some of the workstations. It sucks that you have to manually do this. What about users who don't have the permission to change their date/time info? I have to walk around to all workstations and do this. Sucks!

Actaully, that should have been done automagically with the script they provide. That should have run without problem as I put it in a group policy and set it as a startup script (not logon script.)

Some of them worked... some of them didn't. I enabled that script over 2 weeks ago... so you would that it would have worked. Figures...