Thread: Need help with Norton Internet Security

Angry Need help with Norton Internet Security

I have Norton Internet Security and am getting a message when I log on that says Norton is turned off but it isn't. I've done a scan, used their tool and still getting it. I have the windows firewall turned off. Can anyone help me? I am thinking about getting rid of Norton but have paid until June 6 so want to get the rest of my money out of it. I have been in contact with the Norton techs and am getting no where. Really makes me mad. Will appreciate any help I can get as I'm not computer literate.

AOs Resident Troll
    Who is telling you Norton is turned off...Norton or Windows??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Banned
    boot up into safe mode. Then uninstall nortan, reboot the computer and re -enter in safe mode and do a clean re-install of it.
    then reboot into safe mode with networking and apply all needed updates etc.

It seems that nortan seems to have a problem of the install going pear shaped after a while.

And the above is what i used to do when this happened, it was annoying but it solved the problem.

cheers
    acidtone..

I too have had similar problems. I my case, I have a massive amount of things that start at boot. One of them being a VPN client which is a resource hog, we all know that Symantec too, is a resource hog and the two of them start fighting for resources and the CPU spikes at 100%. After the two of them settle down all is well and Symantec restarts.
    Adding more memory may solve your problem, I haven't tried, I just live with it.

Cheers.
    DjM

When I log on I get a balloon that says Norton is turned off. I think it might be windows but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by duker
    When I log on I get a balloon that says Norton is turned off. I think it might be windows but not sure.
    Is it yellow and located in the lower right hand corner? It stays for a bit and then disappears?

Cheers:
    DjM

Indeed, the amount of things starting at the same time (even more when there are more than one resource hog app) can cause similar problems, just 'cause the processor doesn't have the time to attend all request in that moment.

Also, can be a problem with security center (assuming that you've XP + SP2) which for some reason don't check Norton as "antivirus protection installed" if that's the case you'll have to live with it, just configure security center to Not Supervise antivirus protection.

Think on anything you did before the problem start, even changes that you'll say are trivial...that could give u' leads to find the 'cause faster

Regards

Yes it is yellow and stays for a little bit of time.

You can disable the security center from reporting stuff like that. Mine always tells me that my antivirus is disabled (norton corporate)

Start, control panel, security center. go to antivirus and tell it you'll manage it on your own.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.