Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Office 2007

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Wow.. thanks. Didn't even see that. Definately way different UI.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Well i love the new office. Got the trial pack from Microsofts developer conference and its great.

In fact its so different but still so same to the previous ones.

The ribbon thing is cool and there are no more cumbersome menus to go through which had become a complex thing in office 2003. Also the smart art and 3D effects for the presentaions are really good.

The Save as menu is still present. Just click on the office logo at the top and you'll see it.

For me this release of office is really good packed with a good interface and pretty good features as well.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

I don't like it. It seems to have focused on develping everything from a general user point of view and played down the developer side of things.

If I want to work in Excel or Word or Access - in particular use the more advanced features - then I go to the computer running Office 2003. My custom functions and my macros work, unlike in 2007 which mysteriously adds a paragraph in between address lines and I can't work out why (the same macro doesn't do this in 2003).

It took me a while to even find out where the vb button was in Office 2007 - to me it just feels like they've dumbed it down. I'm all for the ribbon replacing hidden menus etc, but I wish they'd given the same sort of prominence to vba and similar more advanced features.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    I don't like it. It seems to have focused on develping everything from a general user point of view and played down the developer side of things.

If I want to work in Excel or Word or Access - in particular use the more advanced features - then I go to the computer running Office 2003. My custom functions and my macros work, unlike in 2007 which mysteriously adds a paragraph in between address lines and I can't work out why (the same macro doesn't do this in 2003).

It took me a while to even find out where the vb button was in Office 2007 - to me it just feels like they've dumbed it down. I'm all for the ribbon replacing hidden menus etc, but I wish they'd given the same sort of prominence to vba and similar more advanced features.
    Moira: I don't use the advanced features that you speak of. I'm pretty sure that most of the people at my work wouldn't use it for that either. Most of my users need things dumbed down so that is important to me. It's nice that they put all the tools you use and need all the time "in your face" and don't have to go hunting for them.

Have you checked to see if they have a "classic" view or a way to revert? I have not read anything about changing the view back and I haven't stumbled on one in exploring it. You can add more buttons to the ribbon though. The PC I'm on now has 2k3 on it or I'd post some shots.

I have just played around with it enough to create admin installs and make sure there were no MAJOR comptaiblity problems. I'm also a little pissed that you can't roll out via AD using MSI. I have have a workaround for that though... just wish I didn't have to do it that way. Looks like we'll be running 2007 AND 2003 for a little while seeing that 2007 won't run on 2K. Those workstation will be upgraded in a year or so... so it's not that big of a deal..

Maybe they should release two versions?
    Office 2007 for dumb users and Office 2007 for Moira.

I must admit. Outlook 2007 is growing on me.
    If I could keep that and scrap the rest, I'd be happy.

Honestly, I'm just as happy using notepad++ or openoffice. I've actually been using google's mail, calendar, Docs and Spreadsheets lately. It is pretty damn handy and a great tool for a couple of people to share docs/sheets and organize events. I set it up as a test to see if my girl and I would use it. It's been working out great! I just wish it was secure. I don't feel comfortable putting personal data out there knowing it is transfered in clear text. We're just using it to toss about some numbers and keep track of wedding plans and appointments.
    Last edited by phishphreek; March 20th, 2007 at 04:09 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Mostly I just use a text editor too ... at work I don't use Office that much and at home I'm more concerned with "useful" than "fancy". I did all the advanced ECDL modules some years back though, and it just seems that the stuff I learned there is less catered for in Office 2007.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Is there a 64 Bit version of Office 2007?

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Not as far as I know.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, no problems so far with backword compatibility to be honest (at least with office 2k3, that is )

I like the new interface, but it does take a lot more resources indeed! To expected, ofcourse, but still...

What I miss btw is the view in calendar where you can have the days of the week next to eachother per 2 days and then under eachother (I hope you know what I mean... like an analog calendar :P)

All in all I quite like it so far...

I just today used the new Groove that comes with office 2k7. The synchronization features and the formation of collaborative workspace is something i found pretty cool.

My friends and i are working on a project and sharing of files becomes very easy with it which is at times the primary concern. I think that groove is supercool. The updates for files were pretty fast and the sharing becomes very easy and comfortable.

Give it a shot and i think you people will like it too.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Hi,
    I hate people moving over to other software just because it is a neye candy and that too (Microsoft).
    I would really like to know what are the functional improvements in Office 2007.?
    Just curious that's it.
    Is it really worth it?
    When was the last time I heard of a exploit in MS word?...not long back as I recall.
    Last edited by TejasV; March 25th, 2007 at 10:46 PM.
    ---------------------------
    www.IndiaEsecure.com