Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Office 2007

Hybrid View

Office 2007

Anyone here using it? If so, what do you think?

I just installed the standard version last week. It's not too bad. It's taking me a little bit of time getting used to it, but overall I like it. I have pro, but I wanted to workout the admin installs and whatnot for deployment.

I like the new interface and I like the auto preview when changing the formatting, font/size, etc. They actually did something cool for once instead of adding features I won't use.

It is also easy on the eyes. Uses more resources than previous version though... (big surprise)

I don't like that it can't be installed on Windows 2000. The person who ordered it here didn't do enough research and ordered Office 2007 for the whole company. I have about 40 users who will not be able to move to office 2007 until they get upgraded to XP. Yay! Even more work for me...

I do like that Outlook 2007 will discover the exchange server settings and automatically configure the account settings.

Oh, as far as I can tell... You can't push it out via Group Policy! That makes me kind of angry... I'm still looking into this though. Aparently, they did have the ability, but removed the docs from tech net. I can't find a cached version either.

I also don't like that the default doc types can't be viewed by previous versions without a compatibility toolkit installed. I've set the default save as types back to 97-2003 via group policy until everyone catches up.
    Last edited by phishphreek; March 15th, 2007 at 07:48 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

If anyone is interested, m$ has release a *free* e-book for a limited time.
    First Look

They also have some *free* e-learning courses for a limited time.
    E-Learning

I haven't checked out the e-learning courses yet.
    I'm hoping they can be downloaded for future use...

I'll play around with that after I get back from the gym and I'll report back.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Please do - interested in buying a copy but it'll take a lot to convince me it's worth spending the bucks on after using OpenOffice for so long.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

You can check out the training for free. I have not yet had a chance to check it out. I came home to a lost cat (someone elses) and have been trying to help get pictures and create a flyer along with feed it and give it a litter box.

I'll post back after I check them out. You can at least view the pdf ebook if you don't have a spare hour to check out the e-learning class.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Sympathies to ya Phish - at least your strays are feline in nature...since last October I've inherited 2 wayward female humans and a pending grandbaby. Can't seem to sell or trade them off to anyone so I wound up getting a larger house. Welcome to Estrogenland!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I'd gladly welcome two females... not sure about wayward females. I'd have to whip 'em into shape, if you know what I mean. Maybe make a buck or two on the internet from some webcam site? lol Who am I kidding. I can barely "manage" the one I have now. Rather, she manages me...

I'll take the felines over the humans anyday.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I like the UI but seem to be having some difficulty porting docs back to previous versions to allow for document sharing.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Quote Originally Posted by MsMittens
    I like the UI but seem to be having some difficulty porting docs back to previous versions to allow for document sharing.
    Are you saving them in .doc or .xls (97-2003) format? We have very few people using it at this point. We have not run into any compatibility problems... yet.

I'm thinking of rolling out the 2007 compat. toolkit to users not on 2007 yet... just in case.

The problem we always had was that senior mgt always wanted Corel and Lotus because thats what they're used to and know. Everyone else wants Office. So, we never got official permission to "standardize". We were just getting Office OEM with new workstations. As you can guess, that created a nightmare trying to manage versions, licenses, patches, updates, and media. The workstations that didn't have Office OEM and didn't really need it just got the viewers. Not to mention compatiblity issues.
    Last edited by phishphreek; March 16th, 2007 at 03:47 PM.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Try to save them as .doc. I even changed it so it defaults to Word 97/2000 but it doesn't seem to be. One of the things I find annoying is the lack of a "Save As.." option. Either I just can't find it or it doesn't exist.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

There is one in the "office button" in the top left.
    Attached Images Attached Images