Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Stop Calculator Thieves?

How To Stop Calculator Thieves?

Hello,
    Today I've had the second calculator in 2 years stolen. The calculators we use for study aren't cheap as they are those nice scientific ones. This is made worse by the fact that I don't have a job. Anyway, in changing the batteries on past occasions, I have noticed that there is a small cavity in the back. Is it possible to buy an affordable beeper that can be triggered by RFID? I had also thought about installing a GPS tracker, but I gather they can be quite expensive. Can anyone recommend a supplier of cheap beepers and/or small (cheap) GPS trackers? Alternate suggestions to prevent the stealing of calculators would be welcome too.
    Thanks,
    WB.

PS - Although I would be spending some extra money on security measures initially, I think that in a few years there would be a net saving of money due to the current need to shell out for new calculators every year.
    Cereal: Eaten at all times of the day.

Where are you leaving your calculator that it keeps getting stolen? I suggest you take Al Gore's advice, and put it in a lockbox.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Last time it got stolen I was a few metres away, but I could'nt see my pencil case because there were people in the way of my line of sight. In theory, I think your lock box idea is a good one, however, it would be somewhat impractical to have to unlock a box every time I need to use a calculator as I do a lot of maths and use the calculator very often.
    Cereal: Eaten at all times of the day.

keep it in your pocket.
    if its big, get bigger pockets!
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Cargo Pants Rule!
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

This brings back memories.When I was a kid in high school,I had a Casio graphing scientific calculator(can't remember the model now...long time ago!Well maybe not THAT long ago ).Anyway,I was really broken up by the loss of it(I was the only kid in class that had one like that!).The funny thing is,quite a number of years later,while having drinks with my buddies,one of them admitted(quite out of the blue) that he had taken it!
    Anywho,there is no real moral to this story.I guess it did bring some closure,although I had completely forgotten about it!Just thought I would share.
    If you don\'t have anything constructive to say,don\'t say anything at all!

I always keep my 89 in my pocket unless I am using it or if it's in my room.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Have you considered some sort of belt holder like for cellphones?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Have you considered some sort of belt holder like for cellphones?
    The cargo pants would be a better option. Unless its a kickass cell phone, don't put anything on your belt here. You'll get pointed at and laughed at... and thats mostly by the girls. Kind of like the pocket protectors. Well, that was the case when I was in high school. We're going back about 8 years though...

I keep my in my backpack. It actually has a pocket just for calculators in the book storage part. I picked it up at Old Navy some years ago. I've gone looking for another since it is so handy, but have yet to find another like it. It is pretty discrete too. When I'm not using it, it goes back into my backpack. Even if I just have to step away to the bathroom for a minute, I'll take it with me or put it in my bag.

What about marking it so if someone takes it, they can't use it out in the open or sell it. Take the case off of it and paint it so it stands out. Put unique marks in it with a dremmel so you can identify it if you suspect someone of taking it. In the battery case or whatever. I used to do that with things like my gameboys.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

cheap solution - superglue and a breezeblock. Noone will ever steal that.

I've still got my casio graphic calculator from maths A-level. Don't use the advanced features often any more, but its still the best calculator I have.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.