Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've been conned (phishing)

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay

This statement got my spidey sense tingling

MLF
    Actually having been to the police on an unrelated matter, I can sympathise here.

It seems that following an RTA where no one is injured the police couldn't care less if insurance details are exchanged or not.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

AOs Resident Troll
    I am just confused as to what the actual request is....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by steve.milner
    Fair enough.

I just wondered what it was, but an email seems fairly harmless... Excpet for the spam though.

I've never needed to examine this any furthre, but if you use a Western Union transfer, then is there no validaion of the transfer destination?

This must be a money launderers paradise.

Steve
    I stopped allowing people to post any personal or contact info on the forum, because then, sometimes YEARS later, they come back moaning about wanting it removed. With 30 forums and millions of active users, it can get to be a problem.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    The English is very interesting............. some bits are quite sophisticated whilst others imply a downtrodden, working class, ill-educated person.

Nihil thinks his ****** don't stink. Cheers 'old' chap.
    by your *buddy* Computernerd22
    Last edited by Computernerd22; March 20th, 2007 at 03:29 PM.

I wish you the best... you did not suffer a major loss, try to learn from this..

Quote Originally Posted by Computernerd22
    Nihil thinks his ****** don't stink. Cheers 'old' chap.
    by your *buddy* Computernerd22
    Hey nerdy! get it right will ya?............ the correct phrase is

"he believes his stools are odourless"

goes with:

"he has sh*t for brains"

I once worked for a former USAMC major, and VietNam vet. he taught me those.............

Also, whilst I am correcting your Americaness: there was no such thing as the "American Civil War"............... it was "The Northern War of Economic Aggression"............... by today's standards Abe Lincoln would get the same as Saddam Hussein. You do know what "redlegs" were?

OK, the same could be said of Jefferson Davies (Davis?) but that is the way things go................. the winning side don't have war criminals.

/me I like "lemon squeezers"

Thumbs down

I am just confused as to what the actual request is....
    can someone else please tell me if there is anything i can do?
    He just wants to find out if there is any way he can try to get his money back.

Actually having been to the police on an unrelated matter, I can sympathise here.
    You are so right! The police in rural England (read - middle of nowhere) are totally useless.

How do we know he is genuine.
    Why should it even matter? Just give him some honest advice on possible ways to get his money back. Do you know any agencies/organisations that he could get in touch with that could help him out? What is the problem with letting him know?

The poor guys has lost £3,500. That's a lot of money. Why not just give him some helpful advice instead of writing 14 posts that add nothing useful?
    \"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth,
    nor does lightning travel in a straight line.\" -Benoit Mandelbrot

AOs Resident Troll
    yeah....well I would just send 7000 cdn to someone...because I had his fricken email address...

this is a clear case of stupidity...

You offer advice Omin

Live and learn

Thats mine

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; March 21st, 2007 at 02:13 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Lot's of people are unaware of phishing practices. I know people who sit and scratch their heads while reading phishing emails, and all the while I'm screaming at them "JUST DELETE IT! DELETE IT NOW!", but they keep reading.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    He's done what is a good start: go to the police. His next step should be to go to a lawyer to see what civil actions he can take. Additionally, he may want to stay in contact with the police to see how the case is progressing and ask for updates (say, once a week or something)

JPnyc: everyone wants that quick buck. Sometimes people figure that they can make $5000 in a hour with little to no effort. That is rarely a possibility. There is always some effort required to make even the smallest amount.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage