Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I've been conned (phishing)

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    which later i found out ebay never promote western union as a method of payment
    Hindsight is always 20/20 my friend.
    Anyway, did you try to use the Money Transfer Control Number? This apparently tracks money transfers via Western Union.

I gotta say you're pretty much SOL. Problem is, I have hard time feeling too much sympathy, when right on Western Union's website (on the main page under the bold title "Protect Yourself From Fraud") is this:
    Because we care about consumers, Western Union urges you to protect yourself from fraud by considering the following:
    -Never send money to a stranger using a money transfer service.
    -Beware of deals or opportunities that seem too good to be true.
    -Don’t use money transfer services to pay for things like online auction purchases.
    -Never send money to pay for taxes or fees on foreign lottery winnings
    Sorry bud, this is one of those situations where all you had to do was yield a little caution & the outcome would have been completely different.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Doesn't really help him now though. I'm sure he's well aware that he messed up. What he's asking is, does he have any recourse now?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Doesn't really help him now though. I'm sure he's well aware that he messed up. What he's asking is, does he have any recourse now?
    Yes. Continue talking with the police and speak to a lawyer. Anything else (e.g., "hacking" into the person that stole them money) wouldn't necessarily help and may make it worse.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I would've thrown my 2 cents in but I'm not a UK resident. I do know of the US sites for this kind of thing, but that's gonna be pretty useless to him. I think this site is USA only but I'm not sure
    https://www.econsumer.gov/pls/econsu...n?p_lang_seq=1

Anything else (e.g., "hacking" into the person that stole them money) wouldn't necessarily help and may make it worse.
    Yeah. I made this clear right from the first conversation we had. I also made it clear that AO would not help with anything along those lines.
    \"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth,
    nor does lightning travel in a straight line.\" -Benoit Mandelbrot

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    What he's asking is, does he have any recourse now?
    Well, the only thing I can think of is finding out the MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number) & contacting Western Union and see if they can isolate a radius of where the money was transferred to?
    Thing is, if this guy is smart enough to send spoofed emails, I doubt he is stupid enough to use his home computer. I didn't read anything about Western Union insuring transactions against fraud either.
    Sigh.The bad guys win another one.
    Doesn't stuff like this make you want to find one of these con-artists and shove your fist down their throat?
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton