Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can i protect from keylogger?

Good point there Aard~,

We are told that this is a "Technology and Entertainment Education Centre"?...... that sounds pretty ominous for a start......... like an open invitation to download/install pirated software, warez, malware and God knows what? AFAIK if an institution has illegal software on its systems it is legally responsible?

It sounds very much as if the users have local admin rights which would give them access to the Registry?

I cannot remember what this software is called, but I did hear of something that stores a secure image, and when you log off it wipes the current image. When someone else logs on it reinstalls the stored image. I believe it was intended for educational and public access environments.

Other ideas worth looking at, would be a virtual machine and a virtual sandbox?

Hmmm. UMIST used that imaging technique while I was there. Not at logoff, but every night the machines just reimaged. We had write access to the local drive which was actualyl handy. Meant that when it came to doing a huge document we could save it to the hard drive, work on it, print it then delete it without the quota driving us nuts. Had to finish it in a day though :P

I suspect norton enterprise edition might be capable of that sort of thing. There are probably others too.

Yes, institutions are responsible for what is on their systems as they are the owner of the box/connection in question. Similar to the way the owner of a car gets the speeding ticket irrespective of who was driving, but with more recourse to change that.

I guess if you had conclusive proof that it was user X that did something, then yeah. But of course, having a swat team storm in, shutdown your network and arrest the company isn't going to do good for your rep even if you can prove who it was.

I really can not imagine any situation where I would want users installing software.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Very true!

Also, when they raid places they tend to seize anything and everything that looks like it belongs to a computer, and you can bet you won't see it back for months

Sort of disruptive I would have thought?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Is it effective and reliable to boot at startup? you said something about having the user double check that it is running before logging off, but wouldnt want to scare the whole network (implying that our network is insecure).

Quote Originally Posted by Aardpsymon
    WHY do users need to be able to install their own software? I know its annoying to have to install every single piece of software, but I can't imagine the chaos if our users could install software.
    I dont know all the details of why, but i can say that users need the flexibility the machines can offer. ever been to a library and used their computers? u cant use the CTRL key or RIGHT-CLICK or do anything natural. same concept. its an education center, that offers web design, programing, graphic design, architectural design, etc etc. look at whos the audience... generally computer savy ppl. the center tries to allow preferences to add to productivity. rarely do we get problems. im not the main man regulating the network; therefore, i cant give you a perfect answer. Besides criticism, solutions and productive information always help more.

We are told that this is a "Technology and Entertainment Education Centre"?...... that sounds pretty ominous for a start......... like an open invitation to download/install pirated software, warez, malware and God knows what? AFAIK if an institution has illegal software on its systems it is legally responsible?
    Answered above. ^ ^ ^ ^

I cannot remember what this software is called, but I did hear of something that stores a secure image, and when you log off it wipes the current image. When someone else logs on it reinstalls the stored image. I believe it was intended for educational and public access environments.
    I like that idea. heard of it before... but i never knew if it existed.

Aardpsymon, so norton enterprise ed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aardpsymon
    Yes, institutions are responsible for what is on their systems as they are the owner of the box/connection in question. Similar to the way the owner of a car gets the speeding ticket irrespective of who was driving, but with more recourse to change that.
    Have you ever driven thru a red light and the camera took pictures (driver, front of car, back side, and plate) and sent you a ticket thru mail? Try ducking below ur dashboard right before it tries to take ur picture. U'll be suprized on what happens.

Sort of disruptive I would have thought?
    Not if i were the janitor. FREE BREAK!

Quote Originally Posted by e><ius
    Have you ever driven thru a red light and the camera took pictures (driver, front of car, back side, and plate) and sent you a ticket thru mail? Try ducking below ur dashboard right before it tries to take ur picture. U'll be suprized on what happens.
    yeah, you'll forgive me if I DON'T test that theory. Driving through red lights is kind of nuts to start with. Ducking to avoid the camera really just pushes it from insane to suicidal.

as well I was talking in the situation where someone genuinely was driving your car.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

hey, what do u think the police would say if they saw those pix of nobody in the driver seat? u think YOU would get a ticket? or could u say that it was stolen? eh eh eh?!!!

I think I would get the ticket because someone who stole a car would not be hiding from the camera trying to avoid a ticket because its not their car.

Actually, the law relating to motor vehicles and to computers is very similar..... you are guilty until proven innocent.

With a vehicle it is the registered owner who is responsible........... pretty much the same with a computer, or those real time black lists would be illegal

You don't need a photograph (other than to prove your innocence)......... the owner is the default value in the eyes of the law

seems fair enough to me.

Basically, don't lend your car to a nutter who will drive through red lights.