Thread: Front Page Threads

Hybrid View

Front Page Threads

Hi -

Is there any way I can filter out the general chit chat threads on the front page? And cosmos... and related off topic content...

I searched "front page" in the FAQ search, no dice.

thanks

No, not on a per user basis. That would have to be done globally by us. If enough people requested it, however, we would do it.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You'll notice that security threads are in bold. There used to be a "hack" that allowed us to choose what went on the front but with the upgrade that went with it.

I rarely look at the front and instead always go to New Posts, which allows me to filter (using my own eyes) what topics are interesting or of concern.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Actually all threads that contain posts you haven't read yet will be bold, regardless of which forum.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Actually all threads that contain posts you haven't read yet will be bold, regardless of which forum.
    Hrmm.. then there is something wrong with the mark all read since they still appear bolded after I mark them read.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

On the main page? The mark read is for the forum page only, I believe. If it carries over to the front page, it'll probably do so when a cron job runs next.

Maybe filtering the RSS feed would be a good compromise?

If I could filter the threads, I would only have security discussions, web development, and the tutorial forums in it. So you can see right now, there's a lot of noise for me. But, that rids almost half the forums, so that would be innappropriate for a sitewide change.

Maybe perhaps just the chitchat forums can go? I see that this was possible in the past, so just checking.

The front page just shows most recent posts in chronological order........... you don't have to read them, just use the option on the right hand side and go to "discussion forums". You can then open the ones that interest you.

EDIT: Sorry for the rather brief reply, my wife and I were going to an entertainment session at a local hotel.......... the singer is a mate of mine.

What you are asking for is something that we used to have, but was a non-standard "hack" of the management software.

I have already raised this with the Adninistrators and my fellow moderators, but it does not seem to be available as standard? There is no way we will "hack" the standard software........... a lesson was learned the hard way

Are there any webwizzes out there who would care to write a parsing program to do this?

Rule #1 is never, ever, mess with the fundamental coding of a COTS product, particularly when you don't have the source!
    Last edited by nihil; March 29th, 2007 at 12:06 AM.