Thread: Audio options missing

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Audio options missing

Hi there guys

After much troubleshooting with my friend online i cannot fix this problem, maybe you guys can help.

He is using some intel board which I dont exactly know what it is. The sound driver is sigma tel Audio. He doesnt seem to have the microphone option like I do in this attachment. Is there a ultility so he can get that particular option?

I tried installing the intel AC97 drivers but that doesnt seem to work ...

Any comments?

attachment is too big :/ sigh...

Its just the option in windows sound that allows you to tick microphone to get options for that.
    Last edited by Cider; March 28th, 2007 at 06:07 PM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

Try looking for a Sigma Tel driver installation application. It should have an audio management module that will bring all the options up.

Can he play music at the moment?

Might be worth checking the BIOS settings as well? Like you say AC97 which I would expect to be an onboard sound chip............. does he have an audio card as well?

No it is onboard. I will look for that applications.

Thanks nihil.

oH sorry: yes he can play music just microphone does work as there isnt an option for microphone.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

What OS is he running?

Possibly a wildcard, but have you tried a cold boot with the mike plugged in?

Xp2 : Can you explain this cold booting process
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

No rocket science mate.............. you just power down your system then connect whatever it is, then start her up again............ this sometimes causes peripheral devices to get recognised.

"Warm boot" is when you just "restart" like you sometimes have to when installing or updating software.

Cheers

Hey nihil

Already tried that long time ago , didnt seem to work. The problem is that he doesnt get the option for micophone in XP sound settings.

Apparently on "rear mic" i can sort of hear him but with major static and the sound level is really soft. I dont know why he doesnt get the "microphone" option in sound settings...
    Albert Einstein

nihil ... do you know more about AC97 standard? I have "this" onboard as well yet when I enable it in BIOS not only does the computer not recognize any new hardware AT ALL, but even though I actually have 3 jacks (front, rear, mic) there's no audio in 'em at all.

To me it seems like this AC97 is kinda like soft audio-card or win audio-card, an analogy I am borrowing from phenomenon of win-modems, where a lot of the functionality is implemented in the software.

So, Cider, therefore the solution is in finding the exact model number and manufacturer of your MB and dl'ing the right software ...

or am i wrong???
    /dev/humor: not found

That is the problem; AC97 is supposed to be a "standard" but everyone seems to have their own version and they are not compatible.

I had an AC97 problem the other day. No sound at all..............checked the Windows settings and they were all OK. It was Realtek AC97, so I got their latest software.

When I installed it I got a new icon in the system tray...........it was their management software. I had to go into this and adjust/enable the sound settings, then everything worked just fine.

I would suggest that you look for management software, as Windows isn't capable of handling AC97 on its own (native).

EDIT: I think the sound management package is by Intel and includes the drivers. Unfortunately there seem to be quite a few different versions, so you will have to find out which one.
    Last edited by nihil; March 29th, 2007 at 09:28 PM.