Thread: Basic Transposition

Basic Transposition

Hey every one...

Im working on some very basic software/a c++ object for enciphering text (strings, messages, what ever you want to call it... Up to 10000 characters but i havent tested that limit so... LOL).

I was just curious if anyone wanted to take a crack at this string (You already know how im going about the enciphering):

ßäâé¬âé¬áïÿÿºÃ*«îéøî*«Ôåèÿ¬ÿõ¬æÿéÿºõäבּތ

Im just getting into Cryptography and information hiding, so its nothing crazy

I also attached the output file containing the enciphered string. Some of my friends have had trouble deciphering messages when copying and pasting it to a text file to work on...

Attached Files Attached Files

Encryption is interesting. I've got some text books on the subject but the degree level maths is giving me headaches.

I'm gonna guess that your first two words are "this is". Would refreshing my knowledge of the ascii table be helpful for this or were you more devious? (or less devious depending how you look at it)
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Nice job so far

Those are the first two words. Freshening up on the ASCII table would help some but i was a bit more devious with the way it is enciphered.

So, did you guess at the first to words?

well, looking at it ¬ jumped straight out as a space. Possibly in part because of the way it looks as well as its placement. But that gives a four letter word then a two letter word. Since the four letter word contains the two letter word that rather limits the possibilities.

Then, yes some guess work. since I imagine the text to be something along the lines of "This is my first encrypted message". Too short a fragment to apply frequency analysis really though.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Your right... In that instance ¬ is a space but it is a rotating key so each character transposotion has 4 possible shifts (I just gave away how long the key is... LoL)

Very Very true... Frequency analysis would not be useful in this case because the string is so short.

I think the best way to attack cipher text like this is what you are doing already... You got the first to words based of the context of this message. If you were to loke more at word usage and common statements starting with "this is" you will get it

Im pretty sure you can break it, you have a pretty good start already....