Thread: bios update problems

bios update problems

Hi all, as many of you know i was having tons of minidumps etc... well i found a bios update and had to hit alt + f2 to flash it from my floppy, anyways I watched it and all said sucessful at the end and now it won't boot lol, I reset the cmos, numerous times, (beer after beer) unpluged alot of unneeded hardware, and so on, took cmos battery out and unplugged power cord for 24+ hours, thinking my last solution is to hotflash the bios or get another board, I never hotflashed a bios, and the cpu Im on is probably to old or something to do that anyways, the shop says it would cost more then buying a new board, so as usuall I'm here to get the answer from the pros lol thanks

Banned
    Are you sure that you flashed it with the correct update?

as it's sounding like you just scored yourself a nice expensive paper weight.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    When you say "won't boot" what is the indication?

Any POST beeps?

Any display at all?

If its a "no system disk" type message then you need to go into setup and manually tell the BIOS what drives you have and what order you want them to boot up with.

When you flashed it did the utility back up the old bios, you could reflash the old one back.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Hi David,

As ddddc says, what exactly do you mean by "won't boot"............. do you mean won't boot into your operating system or just won't even go into BIOS?

Please have a look at this:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

If you can get it to boot from a Win98 or DOS floppy you might have a chance of doing a "manual" re-flash.

As you are saying "Alt-F2", I guess that you must have some sort of Award BIOS?

eugh. flashing things scares me enough without worrying about it being on a floppy. Disk isn't corrupt is it?
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Hi Aard~,

My thinking is that if you cannot to get it to boot from external media............. well at least read that for a re-flash, then he has "bricked" his machine?

I have used Gigabyte boards for years.............for at least the last five, they have had dual EEPROM BIOS chips............ one screws and you can load from the backup?

hi all thanks for the replys, when I say don't boot, I meen no pics or letters anything on the monitor, the grren led light on the monitors dies quickly to yellow, diffrent video card same prob, all fans and such powerup, and after a few minutes sounds like the harddrive is beeping, but no harddrive probs as i have installed on the cpu im on now, i think i just need a new board¿

Hi David~

I am afraid that you do. When it gets that bad it means that the BIOS EEPROM chip is zapped........ the solution would be to get a de-soldering gun, remove it, and replace it with a working one (assuming that you could get one)

The guys in the shop are right, economy says buy a new MoBo