Problem/questions about openSuse 10.2

Thread: Problem/questions about openSuse 10.2

Seattle, Washington.

Problem/questions about openSuse 10.2

I just installed OpenSuSe 10.2 and I am pretty impressed. However my problem is that it doesn't recognize my Cd-Rom. Any Ideas? Also how do I install Software? I downloaded JDK from but Im not sure how to install it. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Vermont, USA
    Did you load it from the cd-rom? Then it can recognize the cdrom.

I don't know what your linux experience is but I don't want to assume anything here.

With linux (and other operating systems as well), you have to mount a device before using it. (I know, windows automounts when you install a cd)

I have that version of Suse on another box and I'm trying to remember the cd rom deal. I will post later today after I've done a hands on.

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Open up YAST and go to hardware, I don't have 10.2 and haven't used it so far so I can't tell you exactly where to look but in YAST or YAST2 as I assume you're using X, there is a hardware area, it might just be something where you do a hardware scan to let it find it or maybe just in the CD-ROM CD Drive thingy that says it hasn't been configured yet (Trying to remember exactly how I did this when I was messing around with it last time over a year ago) but it shouldn't take long.

Also if you have Windows on there it might be worth checking out to make sure the drive itself is in fact working.

As for installing software, well, you have a lot of options, I'll go over some:

You can install from sources like .tgz and .tar.gz files which is usually like this:

tar xzvf whatever.tar.gz

This creates a folder where you cd into

cd whatever.1.0 or whatever it's called

If it doesn't work and says there isn't one don't worry, as you can then do this if it didn't work or if it did:

make install

make clean

If it's a .sh file:

sh (Do in a konsole or xterm or whtever shell you're using).

In YAST you can go to software and install from the CDs, or just download RPMs. The install from YAST is pretty self explanitory so for RPMs:

Either double click on it and let it do it for you, or do this:

rpm -i whateverapp.rpm

Those are a FEW of the things you can do, but not all. I'd recommend reading the booklet SUSE comes with, or, if you downloaded it, there is usually the SUSE help center in the KDE and Gnome menus which is basically the books it comes with in PDF and HTML forms to read through.

Also it wouldn't hurt to make a Gmail account or use an email addy you already have to sign up for a couple SUSE help mailing lists on the Novell page.

If all else fails and you've read everything and asked mailing lists and here and something STILL won't work, you can always email some of the staff members. Just check the mailing lists a couple of them hang out there and have helped me out when I had a problem with a Kernel.

I was using an Nvidia card and after a Kernel update thge screen would just be black, so I couldn't even get to a Konsole or Terminal or even a prompt and Marcus Meissner, the head of SUSE security (Still is as far as I know) went into work that day after I talked to him about it and fixed it for me.... Now THAT is service heh.

Just a heads up I think he speaks good English now but for a while it was some German too.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Vermont, USA
    Well, I was just humbled. Suse does automount after all.

If you open up root/media are all of of your devices there?

My root/media shows a cd rom as well as a cd recorder even though they are the same device. Installing a disc brings up yet another device with the title of the disc.

As Gore said YAST is pretty straightforward.

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Land of Oryx
    Following found posted in the net,

Java support

To add support for the Java language both for standalone applications and as a browser plugin for Web applets, go into YaST, then select Package Management. In the Search box, type in sun and click Search. A bunch of packages will show up in the right-hand pane. Click the checkbox next to the following packages:

* java-1_5_0-sun
    * java-1_5_0-sun-alsa
    * java-1_5_0-sun-jdbc
    * java-1_5_0-sun-plugin

There is no harm in selecting all of the java-1_5_0-sun packages (you'll notice that there are a few more that weren't selected), but they are not necessary for running Java programs. If you're a Java programmer, of course you'll want at least some of the other packages. When you're done selecting them, click on Accept. When it's done installing, click on Finish in the popup window to go back to YaST. Your computer will now be able to run Java programs and applets.