Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modems & Remote Admin

Remember to consider the direction and volume of traffic. If you go with shared dial-up, it will be pretty slow.

That wouldn't be much of an issue if all you are doing is remote management such as troubleshooting, but, if there are sizable file transfers involved, I would certainly go for DSL

I want only to RAdmin, there will be not file transfers, only RAdmin
    BGDevS
    [gloworange]www.peaksoft.info [/gloworange]

In which case go for the dial-up option as it is cheaper.

Hey, if things change dramatically in the future you will still have the option to go DSL, and will have saved money in the meantime

EDIT: I have added a bit to your thread title to make it easier for people doing searches
    Last edited by nihil; April 5th, 2007 at 07:00 PM.

Hi,
    The trick is to connect two modems via phone line, but not throught the phone - only Line-to-Line cable, without dialing a phone number. I am not sure that this is possible, but this is what I need.
    BGDevS

I am afraid that is not possible, your telephone line is routed through an exchange, so it needs the number to know who you want to connect to.

As described, the suggested solutions are to link the two computers at either end, then connect two of them along the telephone line. You would first contact your ISP/Telco via the modem.

I have seen dedicated private lines, but they are prohibitively expensive, and they still need to "dial" to let the other end know that you want to connect.

Is it that you want to have your voice connection AND the network connection at the same time? If that is the case then you need to go for the ADSL/DSL option.

I dont't need a voice communication. Just want to connect two computers by phone line, but without phone number and to rAdmin the one computer from the other. I have some dial-up modems (internal and external), but if it cannot be done with theme, would DSL modems can help ?
    BGDevS

Well, you cannot connect them through a telephone line without dialling a number............ that is why they are called "dial-up modems", because they are using your voice telephone line.

As I said, that is routed through a telephone exchange, so a number is required. You actually call your ISP and then make an internet connection.

With DSL, you just plug the two computers into the DSL router/modem. You need to get a router/modem that supports two connections, and have one at either end.

Technically you still "dial up", but that just lets your Telco/ISP know that you want to make a broadband connection (in my case it dials 0,38 which is obviously not a telephone number ) You then need the IP address of the machine you want to contact.

Obviously, the other machine has to be switched on and connected to the internet.

This brings up two problems as I see things:

1. Dynamic IP addresses................ your address to find the other two computers will change every time you boot? This will depend on your ISP.

2. You are running Windows 98 on the two "work" computers.......... I would say that was not a great idea for a machine left on and connected to the internet. Even if you use VPN.............. they are still in the firing line?

I am assuming that you wish to administer these machines whilst they are unattended?

EDIT: In fact, I wouldn't even take that OS onto the internet period (full stop) because it isn't supported by MS and is wide open to things like the animated cursor vulnerability, amongst others. There are no patches for it these days
    Last edited by nihil; April 14th, 2007 at 01:11 PM.

I don't talk about internet or ISP. The only connection that I will use is the phone line, which is direct between two computers - pc1->phone line->pc2. There will be not ISP or any other connection. Only that cable.
    BGDevS

Hi, I think that I now understand................. you have a single direct cable connection between the two sites?

If that is the case, I shall have to give it a bit of thought........... to be honest I have not encountered that technology for over 20 years!

It is something like a security or fire alarm? ..................it is dedicated to the one task?

Also, will you want to connect both computer pairs at the same time, or would you use one then the other?

Hi,
    Lets talk about only 2 computers. This is not some sort of alarm - I need to rAdmin the office computer from home. I just have such line. Yes it is the most secure solution for now and that's why I want to use it.
    BGDevS