Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: pc display problem

i think i just found my problem.
    When i plug in the power cord in to one of those mini-tower, the fan in the psu starts up full blast for about one second. Its like a car doing a rev, always tought it sounded kinda cool .
    I just notices it dosent do it anymore when i plug it in, so im gesing its the psu .
    Problem is ,since its a mini-tower, the psu is a custom shape, ikinda like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BRDNEW-DELL-DIME...QQcmdZViewItem

To bad, cause i happen to have two standard psu.

oh well

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar

Thumbs up

It sounds like the PSU has a thermal sensitive fan. In the quest for quiet some manufacturers put a demand circuit in, the fan runs slower when things are cooler making less noise. As something heats up then fan speeds up, but makes more noise.

I don't know how much the new fan is going to cost you but if you hunt deep enough you can probably get an ATX case and PSU for about $40.

Of course the Mobo has to have the same form factor as the case, unless you want to get into modding.

My processor fan "hunts" for the correct speed at startup, it sounds like a race car revving up through the gears.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

I would still try to connect one of the other power supplies and see if it works with that. Standard PSUs would have longer cables so you should be able to do it.

Try using the onboard display if your mobo supports it..I know you said you have tried the screencard in another pc..Also try setting your cmos config back to default and try again..You could also try and take all your extra cards if you have some out like modems,sound,lan etc and just leave your screen connected to your onboard screen port or if you do not have one then leave your screencard in..Also try another slot for the ram if possible or even a different stick of ram..What is your ram config..?2x512or 2x1gig or 1gig??
    Practise what you preach.

Ok, so before i started swapping stuff i tried starting it up again, now it wont start up at all the power light comes on and the fans but the screen is black.

And now it beeps 1 second after powering up???

So i swaped the psu with one thats exactly the same from my other pc (both are the same model) by the way the psu is 160w and all the adapters are custom made for the mini-tower. It still dosent work. I tried that psu in the other pc and guess what, its working just fine. (good news i guess since i dont have to go psu hunting)

Ive noticed one thing do, the fan that makes the rev sound when i plug it in, isent the psu fan as i thought, its the cpu fan ( but its working great when i turn the power on). <----im guessing this is related to my problem somehow

Ive checked all the wiring, everything looks good.

Everything is getting power.

Ive tested the ram

Ive tested the video card, ive tried the tv out, ive tried the onboard monitor adapter and ive tried using another videocard (the exact same model).

Ive got nothing else to disconect from the pc since the network card is built in, theres no modem.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    The CPU fan is usually a temperature controlled fan. Speeds up when the CPU gets warmer.

You've ruled out:
    The monitor
    the video card
    the power supply
    It sounds like the MoBo and or the processor is bad.

Depending on your location you could probably get a replacement MoBo and processor relatively cheap as a package. Windows XP will complain because it will think you've made a pirate copy (it will sense the hardware change), a phone call will get you a code to fix that.

You could get a faster board/chip. Make sure you get the right form factor and match the RAM type so that you don't have to replace that too.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

OK Maybe I am in a constant state of denial...........in post #27 I had reluctantly come to the conclusion that we had a processor/Mobo problem........

I have this kinda "gut feel" that it is the MoBo? The fact that the timings keep changing as you rummage around inside the box just seems to suggest this?

If it were the CPU I would expect a consistency, or a slow deterioration?.....

I would say a dry (cold) joint issue............ when I worked in the armaments industry I would have taken it in for the guys to fix for me.

I think that ddddc is probably right, there are some pretty good CPU/Mobo deals around.

Your problem is that you have a mini tower............ a 160W power supply?

I have lightbulbs that use more

My advice would be to trash the machine but recover all parts that could be used to support the remaining one.

I am sorry that we were not able to provide a "happy ending" in this case

One last attempt? lift the fan and heatsink assembly..............clean them carefully, and clean the contact between the heatsink and the CPU...... replace the thermal paste with a silver based compound. Be careful to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS you can put too much on

Good luck mate!