Thread: Roaming Profile Save Path Change

Threaded View

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar

Roaming Profile Save Path Change

Hello all,
    Ok, I recently added a *Nix based NAS to our network. Now, the users all have roaming profiles on the old server that was handling logons/logoffs. Well, I'm attempting to move all these profiles over to the new NAS and I thought I'd start with my own account. So, I moved my profile folder over to the file server, etc etc. Everything went smooth until it came time to logoff my account.

After receiving errors messages when logging off, it dawned on me that my system was still trying to save my profile on the old server. Well, I searched high and low and I couldn't find any solutions (just a lot of mumbo-jumbo about creating new roaming profiles and saving those). Now, the user profiles we have are bloated with personal files so, starting over was out of the question. Sure, I could copy the files blah blah blah. Nonsense! I was looking for an easy way out.

So, I knew that somewhere on my local machine, there had to be some kind of registry entry that told my system where to save the roaming profile. Well, there is.
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    Within that key lies a registry value titled CentralProfile. I changed the old path to the new path and so far, it's worked perfectly. I'm still testing it out, so we'll see how it goes.

***note - This is in regards to machines (like this *Nix based NAS) that are not necessarily Windows servers
    Last edited by ShagDevil; May 8th, 2007 at 08:29 PM.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton