Thread: Slackware/ Spindoze db problem

Slackware/ Spindoze db problem

Pretty much I was hacking around on partitions and now I need to know how to reinstall Lilo from slackware cd 1. Im currently stuck in Windows, and am NOT enjoying this.

Yes, that does tend to happen when dual booting. I am not sure about Slackware, but I would imagine it is pretty much the same as any other distro?

Please take a look at this: http://linuxlab.dk/tipsntricks/booting

Remember to check your boot sequence in the BIOS

Good stuff. Thing is, I pretty much nuked Lilo. I'm going to have to reinstall the package.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssh!

If BillyWindoze finds out he will sue!............. you didn't get a blue screen of death did you?.... that is a 'doze patent!!!!!

Windoze doesn't like other operating systems, so I try to keep them apart. Not too difficult, depending on where you live...........decent PIII and early P4 is very cheap here.

I guess a reinstall is probably your best bet, as I doubt if you would learn very much from a resurrection.

I haven't had any real problems with multiple Windows boots though ............ never tried Linux and Unix......... I would probably do that first...... much more interesting?

Good luck

I don't dual boot windoze anymore, but i used to get the problem when i did.
    you can try making a boot floppy (for slackware), so you dont need to install any bootloader
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)
    My old skewl http://www.skoz.nl/spelevaert/

I was going to try to have that as a last resort. I know for sure the linux partition is still there I had mounted it from the slackware boot cd with mount /dev/sda2 /mnt -t ext3; As for Lilo, *was there*. At that point, it was kind of just me and Lilo on a firing range.. and I blew his brains out, on mistake!

So the system is there and well, its just completely screwed without this Lilo.

Word of advice: Increasing Linux partition space IN Windows with partition magic may seem like a viable, and intelligent idea. I restart my system, remebering the patience of the gurus. I venture through the valley of post boot, I greet my bios on the way. When Lilo saw this, he became jealous and in his frenzy he destroyed the MBR.

Going to try now to install Lilo manually from USB drive. Will check back in a minute.

Right - o... Ok, let's briefly go over the problem I had and see how you too can manually get down to the core and get stuff back working. I'm going to assume your Lilo fried the MBR. You have a Lilo LI error, 09 09 09 ..., or similar.

Clean your MBR:

LILO installs to the MBR, and pretty much gets comfortable there. It pretty much plays ps3 in your MBR and uses military pcs until you call it. It does its work, and all is good. LILO hates it when you change the MBR, in my case it just would not work. Use a DOS recovery console, and do
    Code:
    fixboot
    Code:
    fixmbr

Restart:
    If you're like me, dual booting you may get an OS not found error. This is when you pop in the Slackware cd 1 and get to ressurecting your system. Most of the time at this stage, like nihil and others suggested, it's very simple to get LILO back on track. I had to do it manually, because I had destroyed LILO completely.

All you have to do is run setup starting with the swap partition part... but say no. no, and NO to the NTH no! Pretty much say no to EVERYTHING, as your system is not actually broken. Just get to the installation menu and uncheck everything there except A:

You want to do expert mode and install LILO only.

Afterwhich, you skip all the way |
    V

to configure your system, go through it. Hey Lilo is back, and all is good.

And you won't mess with partitions on a live system in future?

Cant promise that one, nihil. Hard pill to swallow.