Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exchange 2007

Exchange 2007

Anyone switch from 2000 or 2003 to 2007 yet?

I've just installed 2007 but have not yet transitioned all of my mailboxes and public folders over yet. I have some more configuration and baseline performance stuff to do before I make the leap. Not to mention, I'm coming from 2000 to 2007... I should have taken a class.

I'm going to stop by the local borders on my way in to at least pick up a book. Things have changed quite a bit since 2000 and 2003.

I'm ok with 2000 and 2003... but I have no idea how to use the power shell yet... and aparently, the GUI is built on the power shell and as usual, the GUI team didn't complete the GUI because of a rush to get this product to market. Mind you, I'm not afraid or opposed to the shell... I just have to learn how to use it.

What are you initial thoughts on 2007?
    Is a transition/migration in the works?

I'll tell you one thing... I had to do a LOT of freaking work just to be able to install 2007. Not only that... some products don't even have full support for 2007 such as blackberry or some backup software. They have workarounds... but we all know how that turns out...

This should be quite an interesting project...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

It's a gas!
    Why did you go ahead and upgrade to 2007 without firstly knowing what you were letting yourself in for?
    Most companies, including ours, wont be upgrading for a good while yet, no need to.
    If it aint broke dont fix it!

I didn't... it was decided by management and I was assigned the project...

We're moving to a Cisco VOIP solution and we needed either Exchange 2003 or 2007 for unified messenging capabilities. We had to upgrade from 2000 to either 2003 or 2007. Management decided to just skip 2003 and move to 2007...

Thats fine with me... this server I just installed is not going into production yet. It's more for me to learn and test it before we get these other solutions deployed.
    Last edited by phishphreek; April 12th, 2007 at 03:05 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I didn't... it was decided by management and I was assigned the project...
    lol. Yeah who would volunteer themselves for hours of book reading, headaches and late nights. Unless it is an upgrade that really fixes a problem. But I'll tell you going from 2000 to 2003 I hardly ever have have an exchange issue anymore. The work you need to do to make sure everything is in place is long and exhausting but there for a reason. I tried a shortcut and trashed a mail box during a migration. It was mine thankfully.

Word of advice, make sure every active directory connector on every domain controller and every device that uses one is upgraded with a new connector and ALL service packs before migration. Move ONE mailbox at a time until you get about 10 them move them all. I moved a bunch of small ones then a couple of big ones, verified everything was ok with the user then let it rip and moved a couple of hundred at once.

Right now I don't see a reason to upgrade to 2007. My deal with 2003 was the increased control and security. It does a better job at managing incomming spam and traffic etc but mostly for the mobile interface, Outlook Mobile Access, you should have it on 2007 and it should support Blackberry?

If not good.com offers a pretty cheap interface and it's more secure IMO than OMA because you don't have to open an inbound port. Plus you get visibility of the fleet who are traveling in other cities.

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/ev...wa_mobile.mspx

http://www.blackberry.com/news/press..._10_2003.shtml
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Thanks for the advice roadclosed. I'm creating a bunch of users and assigning them to our current exchange server and then creating some for the exchange 2007 server.

I'll begin moving the test accounts and whatnot before I even think about touching the real users and mailboxes. After I'm sure that it all works properly, then I will start moving them little by little.

I have plenty of time to get this rolled out. Well, a couple of months if I need it. I'm getting a head start on all of this so I don't run into huge problems and delay future projects.

Oh, I know what you mean on the Active Directory connections... I had some problems with them that had to be troubleshooted and fixed before I could introduce 2003 domain controllers. I have a couple of 2000 servers that are dual booted with 2003. I just need to demote those 2000 servers and bring them up as 2003 DCs. I don't feel comfortable with only one 2003 DC. It'll be fine for a week or so, but nothing I want to run long term.

I don't have approval to upgrade all of our 2000 DCs to 2003 yet... I'm sure that'll be a project for next year.
    Last edited by phishphreek; April 12th, 2007 at 05:30 PM.

With the latest rounds of mergers we have to combine four seperate exchange environments and 4 seperate AD forests before we start to worry about 2007. We will also start to migrate all of our public folders from Exchange to sharepoint services as we know that within the next release or two of exchange it will no longer support public folders. I'm was suprised to find out that they ended up keeping public folders in exchange12. All of our hardware is exchange12 compatible though.

For small shops I don't see much of an improvement in 2007. Where it really helps is when you are trying to have more than 4000 users on a single server. And also in terms of doing 7x1 clusters and things of that nature. Also the 64 bit memory architecture is so much better than Exchange 2000/3. Overall I think the further deliniation of tasks between the different server types will be confusing for small shops, and helpful for large shops that take the time to properly design their environment.

Whomever made the decision to go to Exchange 2007 instead of migrating from 2000 to 2003 should be fired. Upgrading to 2003 is like installing a service pack. A real no-brainer upgrade.
    Last edited by mohaughn; April 12th, 2007 at 06:42 PM.

Whomever made the decision to go to Exchange 2007 instead of migrating from 2000 to 2003 should be fired. Upgrading to 2003 is like installing a service pack. A real no-brainer upgrade.
    Sounds like he's deploying a new server, so it should just be a move once the domain is prepped? AS LONG as the AD connector on both boxes match the latest upgrade and the move happend from new box.

phish, the AD connector is what is used by exchange to connect to the user base. NEVER NEVER NEVER run exhange on a DC, so it needs a way to connect to the user settings and all that. 2003 adds tabs to the user propeties that don't exist in 2000. Working from memory here... so each connector you have, meaning anywhere that an Exchange System Manager is install MUST be upgraded. If you try to access Exchange without an upgraded connector BAD BAD BAD things happen.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

It's a gas!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadClosed
    NEVER NEVER NEVER run exhange on a DC
    We are. The mess ive been cleaning up since starting is unreal!

Actually, I know why 2007 was chosen. I'm not worried about that. I could have upgraded to 2003 first, and then later transitioned to 2007... but why do it twice? We only had one exchange server, so it really wasn't a big deal. It is more of a learning curve as I didn't know much about 2007. I do now... I have 2007 running along with 2000. Both are sending mail fine to either internal and external addresses. I'm having two problems at the moment, and I'm pretty sure both of them are related to active directory related. One is with OWA on 2007 and the other is that exchange 2000 can't find the new test users I created in active directory and setup to use 2007. They are not listed in the directory lookup in outlook, but they show up when looking at users and computers or when running a query in AD for recipients. Does exchange 2000 have to have an updated active directory controller connector? I did a search but didn't find much about it. I'm off to research the other problem.

Ok, OWA problem fixed. You can't create mailboxes using active directory. It'll show up as a "legacy mailbox". You must just create the user account in AD and then enable the mailbox in the exchange mgt console. (EMS) Now, I just need to figure out why exchange 2000 can't see new users added since introducing a 2003 domain controller and exchange 2007 server.

Its not really that big of a deal though... Everything is going pretty smoothly. I can probably just start moving users over soon. Although... better safe than sorry.