AACS Cracked Again

Thread: AACS Cracked Again

AACS Cracked Again

They don't give up, do they?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=124294
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

No they don't, there will always be those who take things apart to see how they work................. the real skill lies in being able to put them back so that they still work!

This is not a "hack" of AACS.............. it actually circumvents or bypasses a part of the authentication process (the Host Private Key). It would work with any system that uses this methodology.

At the moment it is at the proof of concept stage. You need an X-Box HD-DVD drive with particular firmware, you need to dismantle the drive, you need to desolder the flash memory chip and you need flashing hardware. Then you have to reinstall the chip.

This process would have to be greatly simplified for it to become widespread.

True "pirates" (conterfeiters) on the other hand, will always have the resources to copy media. If you can play it, it can be copied.

That is why I don't have any faith in DRM

I do not how it worked but I have seen people bypassing DRM restrictions. What can you say about the AUDIO CDs! I am not sure what methodologies they use but then they do not allow it to be copied... but they allow ripping... where does the security lie?

All security in almost everything related to software is dependent on some sort of password. Sometimes a fingerprint acts as a password and at other times it may be a pubic/private key. But among all the keys, the key is that all the keys open a lock. If you know the LOCK, you can make a key.

As far as tweaking hardware is concerned, I would never do that anytime soon coz I do not want to spend more money on experments with hardware while I already have a tight enough budget!

Anyway I like that hack. I wish I had a X-Box to play around with that thing. But anyway I liked it. Nice post (even though I did not understand it! )
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Well jockey~ you've raised a few points there

1. Earlier CDs didn't have any copy protection at all.......... you just copied the whole thing, or the tracks you wanted.

2. Earlier copy protection just tried to scramble the content so a copy didn't work too well. So you just output to a CD drive rather than your speakers.

3. People found that if they downloaded the content to a hard drive they could also circumvent this.

4. Software came out that would copy media whilst removing the copy protection at the same time.

5. Other software would just burn an exact image, DRM and all, so it just looked like an original to anything you played it on (also called "cloning").

6. Later software would use the "screenprint" or "screencapture" technology to grab the video frame by frame.

7. More recent attempts have tried to tie in the software and hardware, which is what this is trying to do. Incidentally AACS haven't yet implemented all their tricks Another aspect is that where the media has been downloaded, it is authenticated by the player and or firmware over the internet.

Otherwise the purchased media has a "blacklist" that will block that player.

This circumvention is intended to prevent hardware/firmware validation. You would still need to circumvent the other keys.

Basically, where the hardware or software key is on the blacklist it won't play that particular title.

AACS is still in its infancy, so I am not really surprised that people are finding ways around it.

Well you all may be experts but as far as my eyes see, all I can see is that no matter how much security is implemented in any hardware *** software product, there is always a way to bypass the security by modifying the software... no matter how much sophisticated the process may become, there is always a catch!
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein