Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IDS & Honeypot - Differences?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jockey0109
    Well can someone tell the answer to my question? (some posts above)?
    The answer is, it depends. Requirements drive where, when, how and why you deploy a honeypot. They are not "typically" setup in DMZs or anywhere else. They are setup all over the place for different reasons. There is no such thing as a "normal" honeypot config.

For more information than you'll ever want or need on the topic, go here:
    http://www.honeynet.org/

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thanks TH13. I have already visited the site you have mentioned. It was not too clear and that is why I am asking it here. Anyway thanks alot for the answer and clarification.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

This site may help you out some jockey.

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whi...udies/1465.php
    \"Don\'t be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships people don\'t speak of...\"

Honeypots are research tools, IDS devices are alerting tools.
    thehorse: Honeypots can be very good at alerting too. I consider them better than IDS because they hardly generate any false positives or false negatives. To put in simple words, IDSs bitch while Honeypots don't. To prove my point, think of a box running a fake service. An attacker will surely SYN the service in the initial scanning phase causing an alert. A clever attacker can mess with the IDS
    in many ways to mask his activity. Its really not what honeypots are traditionally made to do; but who the hell gives a sh*t about traditions these days.

This is inaccurate. A passive device such as an IDS is an alerting tool, not a defense mechanism. It alerts you *after* an event has happened, it does not defend against the actual event.
    well Pfleeger (Pearson - Security In Computing) classifies IDSs into two - passive and reactive. The reactive one is called IPS. But, isn't it an IDS anyway ?
    Last edited by PacketThirst; April 29th, 2007 at 03:31 AM.

Honeypots are IDSs, IDSs are not Honeypots. Honeypots are a subset of IDSs if treated as such.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Honeypots can be very good at alerting too. I consider them better than IDS because they hardly generate any false positives or false negatives.
    Honeypots, perhaps do not provide many false pos/negs but they are much more limited in scope than an IDS. They catch very specific types of events while IDS devices capture most, if not, all varieties.

Reactive IDS devices (IPS) or whatever name you slap to them are intended to be defense mechanisms. The problem is that I have yet to see someone deploy an IPS solution with great success. No one wants to impact the business adversly with a bad IPS rule so most are configured so lightly they barely make a difference.

Another 2 cents...

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden