Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using TOR and other proxy servers

Quote Originally Posted by thehorse13
    I have not heard of or come across any such tool. Knowing how the protocol works, I think you'd be hard pressed (if at all possible) to design such a tool.

Phishy likes snort but one day he will see the light and listen to his mentor on why he should be careful with that tool.

I use a commercial product called Websense to stomp out the TOR protocol.

--TH13
    I know why you don't like snort... I thought that was taken care of???
    I'd be happy to use another tool... if I could get approval from mgt.
    What do you recommend as a replacement? I've looked into a lot, but the licensing for the "good stuff" is nucking futs!

We also use websense. It ruins EVERYONE's fun... Well, except for the admin of Websense who just happens to be the bastard sysadmin from hell's stepfather.

TH, you'd be proud of some of the stuff we're doing right now. We're implementing some pretty cool sh17. Well, its impressive to me...
    Last edited by phishphreek; April 19th, 2007 at 12:26 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Yes, yes, I know. Deep pockets are needed to cure most problems.

As for the reason we don't use snort, well, it seemed to be fixed but we've run into a few other snags.

Good stuff going on there huh? Excellent. I just got done rolling out Verisign's Unified Auth for Winblowz. We can now use 2 factor auth and sign/encrpyt e-mail. Full PKI baby!!

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Using TOR with applications

I have successfully configured TOR and Privoxy to work with Internet Explorer or Firefox, connecting to the HTTP Proxy 127.0.0.1:8118, IP has changed it's all good.

However, my whole point was to bypass the ISP's proxy, result is now :
    I can't open the game that uses flash in the browser(ports are still blocked)
    Configuring the P2P applications with Socks is not working in ANY way.

I have messed a lot with the configurations files but the ideas are starting to get very blurry, I don't really get how the ISP is still restricting the ports to IE and why the applications also can't even connect to Privoxy or TOR.

And I can't wait another year till I take a networking course in uni (i'm a Computer Science major) and understand all the concepts.

Sooo help plzzzz.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Wink

However, my whole point was to bypass the ISP's proxy

How do you know if *your* ISP even uses a proxy server? Not all ISPs use proxy servers.

From my under standing (correct me if im wrong) but isnt your intial login point on the internet is already logged by your ISP?

On itunes they (did at one point anyway) had video of all the defcon presentations. One of them was a discussion of tor that was pretty interesting if you are into it.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

CN22~

From my under standing (correct me if im wrong) but isnt your intial login point on the internet is already logged by your ISP?
    That would be my understanding also. Certainly it is the way my connection works, as it uses my telephone line, which is uniquely identifiable. I cannot connect from another line because it matches my account to my telephone number.

If I messed with the IP address that my ISP gave me then I might be able to connect, but the ISP wouldn't know where to send the replies? I think that 127.0.0.1 would find rather a lot of computers in the World, and would be a one-way conversation? ............. I would expect that situation to provoke some sort of error condition, as it cannot be correct?

I must admit that I find this whole thing a little confusing, because if you don't trust your ISP why are you doing business with them?

Of course proxy

I'm SURE they use proxy, cause I cannot connect unless i configure my Internet Explorer to proxy :
    1) At my home connection : 10.100.40.1 Port 8080
    2) At school : proxy.aub.edu.lb Port 3128

And they both refuse most connections except from known ports of HTTP, HTTPS and MSN, but not the ones i care about : Online games, P2P...

And by the way, you can get content without the ISP monitoring it, one example is the HTTP-TUNNEL, but they will offer you no more than 5 KB/s without pay and 100 KB/s with pay. What I think is possible, if we're good enough, is to configure TOR to do the same thing (regardless that it also won't give you the full power of your connection).
    Last edited by inso-mniac; April 22nd, 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Hmmmm,

And by the way, you can get content without the ISP monitoring it
    That depends on what you mean by "content" and what you mean by "monitoring"???

Over here ISPs do not monitor content............ they just need to know who you want to contact so that they can manage your dialogue for you...........

So, if you want an HTTP tunnel or a proxy server, that is what you get connected to........... they log what you connected to and when, but they don't know where you went from there or what you were doing. Why should they? after all there is no government requirement for it and no money in it for them

There is one comment I will make though............. by being surreptitious (like using proxies and encryption) you really are lighting up a big neon sign?

aub.edu.lb
    Be careful son; three dozen lashes can be quite painful I would imagine

three dozen lashes can be quite painful I would imagine
    What do you mean by lashes ?

And actually, i've seen my ISP's server, he's not the "legit" type of organisation.. well let me just say that he sees the name of every server every IP connects to .. i.e. "yahoo.com" ! LOL

And although i was friendly when i went there just to check out, I wasn't that happy with that.

But anyhow, my real motive in this post is not browsing safely or not showing ur content (cause that's what TOR's main use is), again it's bypassing the friggin proxy and getting over the port issue !

Hi,

What do you mean by lashes ?

Errrrr............... like what happens to nice American boys and girls when they violate the rules in Islamic countries? I freely admit that I haven't visited Beirut since 1965, but it was an Islamic country back then (OK a lot of COPTS as well)?

My personal suspicion is that you are encountering some sort of state censorship?

This is being imposed on your ISP by external political influences.............

Perhaps you would visit the Embassy of the United States of America and request further information

I can assure you that the USA does not go to war over three dozen lashes

We have a saying over here:

"If you want to live in Rome; you have to live like a Roman"...............

Please, please think this through............. you are in Beirut, Lebanon, not Birmingham, Alabama.