Thread: DoD to launch IRIS, space router, for Internet communications of global military

Banned

DoD to launch IRIS, space router, for Internet communications of global military

The U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) has announced its intentions to launch the Internet Routing In Space (IRIS) satellite in 2009, which will allow for voice, video, and data communications for U.S. and ally troops around the world.
    Full Story located here:>ITwire.com

cheers
    acidtone..

thats pretty cool, i want one. I wonder how much they cost... lets see... I've got... $27 after my new transmission, what will that get me?

quick question though, what happens when another country is pissed at us and shoots our satellite down.
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

Quote Originally Posted by Godsrock37
    thats pretty cool, i want one. I wonder how much they cost... lets see... I've got... $27 after my new transmission, what will that get me?

quick question though, what happens when another country is pissed at us and shoots our satellite down.
    Hrm, I dunno about that one. My guess would be that it could be jammed, but if the missle is known about soon enough it can be shot down with a LASER. I guess there would be a combination of jamming and evasive action on the satellite's part imo.

My profound question for the day is: Why do governments adore acronyms so much?
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

Hey Godsrock37,

I wonder what kind of kit we would need to leech off it? Could bring a whole new angle to the concept of wardriving?................how much does it cost to hire a shuttle these days?

I won't bother with the technicalities , but I can tell you that on the battlefield you don't have time to wait for Larry the Cable Guy

I smell Payola here................. government about to be thrown out of office? major corporates looking for fat, taxpayer funded contracts for which they will be virtually unaccountable?