Thread: STEAM supposedly hacked, credit card info may be at risk.

STEAM supposedly hacked, credit card info may be at risk.

http://www.dailytech.com/STEAM+Hacke...rticle6972.htm

Apparently news has been going around of STEAM being hacked again, and credit card info and overall personal is now hostage to a hacker known only as "MaddoxX"

According to a posting made on an anti-STEAM website, MaddoxX has bypassed VALVe's security system and accessed a significant chunk of data, including:

* Screenshots of internal VALVe web pages
    * A portion of VALVe's Cafe directory
    * Error logs
    * Credit card information of customers
    * Financial information on VALVe

Scary if it's true..I don't know if it is yet, but I figured I'd post this up just to get opinions of our members here and see what others think.

More news links:
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158852

Looks as if it only applies to recent purchasers, or people suscribed to internet cafes, from that story.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

No idea, but I would comment on the financial statement. It is a balance sheet, but obviously of an operating unit rather than a corporation.

Why? well just look at the "equity"................ there isn't any; just retained income. No stocks, shares, shareholder's funds, loanstock or whatever. No fixed assets..............and so on.

The other clue is that although it is a balance sheet, it is to the nearest cent. I would presume that it is designed for input to an automatic financial consolidation package. Otherwise I would expect it to be to the nearest '000 dollars.

That would seem to back up Valve's claim that it is a partial breach?

I used to Admin a TFC game server before Steam came along.... so I walk the line here.

STEAM got hacked.... HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

well that would explain my 2 accounts being banned

i had 2 seperate accounts one for css - counter strike source and one for 1.6 and i didnt play it for good 4 or 5 months i just tried loging in recently and both banned for cheating violations which was really weird ... ehh thats valve for you they dont want to send logs which ip was playing under that acount and account just stays baned forever
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of

Forgive my ignorance but wth is STEAM?

STEAM is a video game company of some very popular games.
    http://www.steampowered.com/
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Ah, thanks pp. That would be why I never heard of it, not much of a gamer.

the concept of STEAM is an interesting one. It does a reasonable job of discouraging cheaters since getting caught can mean that you are banned from ALL the games you have bought. But as st1mpy has found out, a false positive can be a bitch.

What I like is that I never have to hunt for a disc. Just play, or wait for download and play. No messing with patches.

As for the risk from steam being hacked, my understanding was that the only serious information that was stolen related only to cyber cafes and wasn't necessarily going to harm the customer at all.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Aardpsymon
    the concept of STEAM is an interesting one. It does a reasonable job of discouraging cheaters since getting caught can mean that you are banned from ALL the games you have bought. But as st1mpy has found out, a false positive can be a bitch.

What I like is that I never have to hunt for a disc. Just play, or wait for download and play. No messing with patches.

As for the risk from steam being hacked, my understanding was that the only serious information that was stolen related only to cyber cafes and wasn't necessarily going to harm the customer at all.

i sent them an email .. all i got back is that account is under investigation and that they will get back to me ... which i might go an buy new copy of hl2 and relax with it ...
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of