ERROR
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ERROR

ERROR

I tryed pluging in my jump drive and it gives me an error saying:
    cannot obtain lock on /media/.hal-mtab. I'm using Fedora 6 Core and previously i have been able too view what in the drive. Now it's been giving me that error. Can anyone help me?

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I've had my thumb or jump drive get "corrupted" before, can you view on another system/os?

Not up on Fedora, sorry.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Well idk if it's corrupted, it works on windows, and in the past I have used the same media drive on my same OS before im sure, and it worked, but now it says that it cannot obtain lock /media/hal.mtab, I've googled and can't find anything on it, so I don't know now. But if anyone knows I'd appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by magikstik
    Well idk if it's corrupted, it works on windows, and in the past I have used the same media drive on my same OS before .....
    Does it currently work on windows? How about another box running fedora? In my experience, thumb drives just fail sometimes.....is there something important you need off of it?

It works on windows now, i don't know wtf is going on, i'm sorry but not to sound bitter but w/ all these security professionals and whatnot, not a single person even has a clue, that's sad. I've been searching and haven't found ****. so can anyone possibly help me?

but w/ all these security professionals and whatnot, not a single person even has a clue, that's sad.
    I have news for you son................ you are the "sad" person here. You run some crappy OS with unspecified but probably equally crappy hardware. You have obviously screwed up somewhere, and you whine because nobody on a SECURITY PROFESSIONALS' SITE knows the answer.

If it works on Windoze then use it on Windoze..............

Somewhere in Fedora it has not dismounted properly............ I would bet that if you took it to a different Fedora box it would probably work.

I have never encountered this sort of problem with SuSE

For the record I also have suse linux as well and the with a little more effort i figured it out it was as simple as typing restorecon -R /media and it worked, so just to let u know. and btw fedora isn't as **** OS my hardware is exteremly good and im sure it would work on another fedora box. so thank u and good bye

so really it is sad im not a professional and was able to figure it out
    Last edited by magikstik; April 26th, 2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: for got somthing to say

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    You also had the device and the cpu at your disposal. Not knowing exactly what you've tried already to fix something or what was at your disposal to fix something makes it a little difficult for a second party to help.

Fixing anything through a "board" such as this can be difficult also because of the communication lag, question to answer to reply, its not instantaneous as a phonecon or an IM session.

There are some excellent people on this board, and some of the best troubleshooters I've come to know. Just because we aren't mind readers or could fix your problem before you figured it out doesn't give you grounds to start dissing people.

May I recommend the next lesson you take in a book called "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

1st of if u read my post thurough I just said "and no one has a clue" and that was sad, i merely told that guy he's said because in turn he said I was, that is hardly a diss, and yes u can't read my mind sorry for not elaborating on that, I did nothing, nor altar anything, I just needed some important files on my jump drive to put it in my box, then I had that error: so there. so it doesn't really matter now, so let's not turn this into something. And besides about what u said:
    You also had the device and the cpu at your disposal. Not knowing exactly what you've tried already to fix something or what was at your disposal to fix something makes it a little difficult for a second party to help.

Fixing anything through a "board" such as this can be difficult also because of the communication lag, question to answer to reply, its not instantaneous as a phonecon or an IM session.
    Well I make a post to another forum about my problem (and exact copy), and w/ one post someone had a solution which resloved my problem, which says enough for me about that BS excuse that I didn't give enough information.

- Magikstik and sorry for being so bitter yet again.......
    Last edited by magikstik; April 26th, 2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo's

AOs Resident Troll
    Magikstik

Got a link to that forum??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer