AOL [hell]?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AOL [hell]?

AOL [hell]?

I'm attempting to fix a co-workers brand new Dell laptop (fitted with Windows XP Pro). He uses AOL for internet access and as an ISP I believe (small business).The problem is his internet works perfectly fine on Internet Explorer but on AOL Explorer it goes slower than dial-up.

Here's what I did so far (and he did on his own with AOL tech support):
    1. Virus Scan
    2. Spyware Scan
    3. AOL re-install
    4. Checked for proxies to no avail
    5. Disabled ALL firewalls
    6. Disabled all unnecessary network connections (including wireless)
    7. Checked if parental control was on

I don't get it. My assumption is that AOL is not configured properly but the AOL interface is so confusing when you have to look at settings and a couple of the settings have to access the internet (?!).

P.S. I attempted to suggest not using AOL but he says he needs AOL. So removing AOL is not an option.

Thanks in advance.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

P.S. I attempted to suggest not using AOL but he says he needs AOL. So removing AOL is not an option.
    Why does he *need* AOL? People *need* AOL like they need a bullet in the head. Sorry... I really don't like them.

My personal feelings aside: AOL is now free for everyone. You don't need to use their software to access their services. Just get a good ad blocker. I just switched someone over to DSL today. They wanted to keep AOL for their stocks portfolios and for email... so I just made AOL.com their homepage.

Is he using AOL over broadband? Or, is he dialing in? I was under the assumption that you are using AOL over broadband because you said its "slower than dial up" when using the AOL interface.

It's possible that he is using AOL over dialup and IE over broadband? Make sure that AOL is not dialing up but instead using the existing internet connection.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Not gonna say I LIKE AOL, that would be going too far. Buuuut I've ended up using them a couple years now (I had no choice, it was AOL or no internet don't hurt me :P) and although the software is a PITA with a wireless router between me and the internet you don't need it and to be honest, its been the most reliable connection I have ever used. I get the speed I paid for all the time. Not had it go down on me once. Unlike Bulldog, BT, Freeserve and tiscali.

Got a hardware spec for the machine? its not something silly like the AOL bloatware is overloading the computer is it?
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Well the obvious answer is to tell him to use AOHELL to connect, but use IE or other browser to access webpages. I'm afraid I haven't seen the thing since AOHELL 3.0 and won't be of much help in troubleshooting it.

I think he needs it mainly for convenience, all of his needs in one place. I know he doesn't need it, however have you ever tried to switch out of something you are SO used to? You tend to be a bit apprehensive, which he is.

Yes, it is on broadband...the dial-up connection is currently disabled and I don't believe he has a telephone line connected into the laptop, I'll verify today. I'm not sure about the specs but it's not going slow at all. I actually originally thought it was one of Dells many useless software that comes bundled into the laptop was the root of the problem, I guess I was wrong.

Well, for the past few days (while I attempt to find the solution) I've advised him to use IE for internet. I figured nobody here would be expert at AOL (I haven't used AOL since the year 2000 when I first bought my computer (you have to take advantage of those free minutes )) however I figured you would be able to provide a theory which I could confirm or deny.
    Last edited by Raion; April 24th, 2007 at 01:38 PM.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Well back when I had my experience with AOHELL, their browser used the IE DLLs and all settings. Can anyone confirm how much of that is still the case? They also (in their tv ads) claim to have all kinds of protection built in . It's quite possible that some of this "dumbed down" protection is robbing internet speed.

That was my assumption as well, the protection could be slowing it down, however when I attempted to disable it, I was unable to find it. It always leads me to an AOL site so I can download it...

Well if IE is working, the 1st thing I would look for is a tools menu where proxy can be set. Tell it to use IE proxy. that's just a shot in the dark.

Fitting title...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Well back when I had my experience with AOHELL, their browser used the IE DLLs and all settings. Can anyone confirm how much of that is still the case? They also (in their tv ads) claim to have all kinds of protection built in . It's quite possible that some of this "dumbed down" protection is robbing internet speed.
    If I am not mistaken, doesn't AOHELL use Netscape as a browser?