Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AOL [hell]?

Yes, that was the way it was done back then. You got a CD from your ISP and it loaded a heap of junk for you, together with their version of whatever browser that defaulted to their webpage.

I use BT right now, and all I seem to have are the drivers for the modem, setup software, and an online/onboard help file. I have a couple of other modems and they just loaded the driver and management software.

I do recall that you could get rid of most of the AOL software back in the days of dial-up, I just never had to do it.

I remember back when NetZero was free in the NYC area...they had a huge banner right under every window (just above the start menu if you had the start menu on the bottom and above all). If you closed the banner area, you were disconnected...quite irritating. Then I experienced the wonders of broadband, never again will I go back to dial-up
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

It's truly amazing now when you think what we used to put up with back in the days of dial-up!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

I tried netzero back when it was free. I never once managed to connect with it.