Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Network related Query

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Red face Wireless Network related Query

Hi gals / guys!

I have query relating to WiFi, its like this suppose there are more than one AP's in a Wireless network with same SSID and there are devices like Laptop, PDA's and other hand held devices connecting to them. Its been observed if device 1 is connected to AP1 and while roaming device 1 get close to AP2 but still its connected to AP1 although the distance b/w Device 1 and AP2 is much small than that with AP1. WHY is this so?

Some one told me that it will automatically connect to AP2 once the minimum signal strength value will reach. So if this is the case than what is that minimum value and can that be defined manually in a wifi enabled device.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Try changing SSID'd of both networks. This will answer all your questions.

You can even enable different securities on different AP's.
    manish

You may be talking about windows Zero Wireless Config software. If it is enabled it will connect to any network that has the best signal strength that is not encrypted. If you PDAs and portables are running Microsoft’s palm OS, or XP sp2, this is most likely the case.

Quote Originally Posted by manish soin
    Try changing SSID'd of both networks. This will answer all your questions.

You can even enable different securities on different AP's.
    I agree, Each access point should have the same WEP KEY, but different SSIDs

Quote Originally Posted by Info Tech Geek
    Why WEP?

This is probably a different setup than you have... but here is what I observed when I setup a wireless network.

I setup a 3 routers using the WDS repeater mode on wrt54g routers using the DDWRT firmware. At the time, only WEP WPAv1 was supported. I think that they now support WEP, WPA and WPA2. I used WPAv1 because of the weaknesses of WEP.

They all shared the same WPA key. I gave each the same SSID and just changed the scope of the DHCP server on each router so I knew which one I was connected to. As I "roamed" from one to another, it would knock me off the network and get another IP via DHCP. It wouldn't always switch from one router to another though just because one signal got stronger than the next. Just when the signal got too weak, it would drop off and connect to another one with a better signal.

I didn't care for this setup much and ended up just taking it down in favor of a wired LAN.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I too have had roaming setup (on a much larger scale) and found it to be somewhat crappy.

That said, I did find a commercial offering by Aruba networks that accomplished this in a VERY nice way. Reliably hopping APs was the biggest benefit and of course central management.

At the end of the day, wireless is cool but I'll take copper over wifi any day.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    phishphreek
    Just when the signal got too weak, it would drop off and connect to another one with a better signal

This is what i Wanna know is there a specific value for this? I mean minimum value for signal where i get drop from one AP and get connected to the other one with best signal and can that value be changable or is it hardcoded in the devices?
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

As far as I could tell, no, there were no preset values. I'm not sure if there is software out there that would complish this or not. Most of the software I've seen for the actual network cards don't have a place to set the preferred network based on variables such as signal strenth. I've just seen where you can setup preferred APs by name.

I've never really looked into doing something like that as my wireless hosts were somewhat stationary for the time they were being used. The only thing that wasn't stationary was my PDA... I never paid attention to what that did because I turned on the wifi when it was needed. Otherwise my battery would be killed far to quickly.

Though, it looks like some manufacturers thought about this?

Google around for wirless clients and roaming. It is probably just based on the client and the adapter. Maybe there is a third party tool out there that will take over handing these types of variables? Not sure.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireles.../CS-015906.htm
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8014624c.shtml

Are you using standardized adapters? Check the docs on the adapters and see how they function with regards to roaming.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Quote Originally Posted by Info Tech Geek
    I could be mistaken, but I've always understood that the SSID should be the name of the network the AP is connected to and it doesn't matter how many APs there are, they should all have the same name. It's the channel numbers that distinguish between the devices.

I have two, 3com APs configured to allow connections on three separate VLAN networks. Both APs have the same SSIDs (but a different one for each VLAN) and they seamlessly hand off the connections between each other as users roam from one section of the building to the other.

Doesn't having different SSIDs make it more difficult for roaming since the devices have to negotiate a new connection with a different SSID?

AO Senior Cow-beller
    The technology around RFC 802.11 has been muddled quite a bit with the advent of consumer grade components.

http://www.linux.com/howtos/Wireless-HOWTO-9.shtml << best Engrish. EVAR!

That should shed perhaps a small bit of insight. FanacooL, are you using centralized management software, or just a couple of COTS ap/routers you bought at Bestbuy? Are you using Windows ZWC, the wifi management software that came with your various devices, or something else?

There are a LOT of questions relevant to your situation before a proper answer can be given. I am assuming you encountered something, are curious, and want to learn more about it and Wifi in general. Way too much info to discuss it here.

I have a few suggestions, if you really want to learn that much:
    1- the NetStumbler forums used to be AMAZINGLY good at these sorts of specifics, if you knew who and how to ask. Thorn, Blackwave, Renderman, and many others have been hanging around there a LONG (LOOOOOOOOONG) time, and it's a good resource...or it used to be. I don't know how active that forum is anymore, what with the decline in popularity of NS thanks to Kismet, Airodump, and many many other tools.
    2- 802.11 in a Nutshell (ok so it's not a Nutshell book, but it's darn near.)

My point being, there are a lot of points to consider. The short answer = change the ESSID of one of the access points and change the windows settings to not auto-connect. That should put the onus on the user.
    Last edited by zencoder; May 8th, 2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore