Multiple Domains on A Single Machine

Thread: Multiple Domains on A Single Machine

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Multiple Domains on A Single Machine

Hi: -

I have a server machine working as PDC running windows 2003 on it. Now suppose the domain configuring in it is abc.com and now we want to change that domain to xyz.com. I have one option to remove the current domain/ remove AD and re-configuring them for xyz.com but normally it happened with me that once i remove the AD or Domain i have encounter too much problem and lastly i re-installed the windows in it. So i need your suggestion/ help that is it possible that i can do this without installing the complete OS.

Is it possible to run both the DNS abc. and xyz.com Simultaneously.

If its possible than later on i have to remove the abc.com and will that gona effect the clients or even the server too.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Now suppose the domain configuring in it is abc.com and now we want to change that domain to xyz.com
    Domain Renaming is a serious consideration and not something you should just do on a whim. You should really do some reading on domain renaming first. I suggest starting here -
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/dow...ainrename.mspx
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I have a server machine working as PDC running windows 2003 on it.
    First, there has been no such thing as a PDC/BDC model since NT4 domains. Win2000 on up have global catalogs now so there is no need for a "PDC".

Just by the fact that you don't understand this basic domain concept, running parallel domains would be a terrible idea for you (but yes, it can be done). If you want to change domain names, you're going to have to re-engineer *everything*.

So i need your suggestion/ help that is it possible that i can do this without installing the complete OS.
    You can demote DCs but it isn't always a clean process. Re-installation is the best way to go.

Is it possible to run both the DNS abc. and xyz.com Simultaneously.
    Yes. DNS is DNS. It is not Microsoft/AD centric.

If its possible than later on i have to remove the abc.com and will that gona effect the clients or even the server too.
    It depends on too many things to accurately answer this.

Bottom line: Unless it is absolutely a must, don't do it. You're asking for a world of hurt.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden