Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop won't start

Custom User

Laptop won't start

Hi,

I've had an IBM Thinkpad T40 for ~4 years now, and in all the time I've had it there's been no problems. I went to turn it on today and it appears to be bu****ed. What's happening is the IBM splash screen comes up (where it asks you if you want to enter Access IBM - i.e. the bios config), the cpu fan starts making a lot of noise for a while, then nothing. It just stays on the splash screen. If I press the bios config button, the text at the bottom of the screen that asks me if I want to enter the config disappears, but the splash still stays on the screen.

Anyone have any idea what's going wrong? I use the laptop for everything - mainly uni - and it would be pretty gutting if I had to ditch it now. OTOH, if it's something that would require a proper technician to diagnose, I'll just end up getting a new laptop.

Thanks in advance,

ac

My thoughts would be the mainboard. I would definitely recommend removing all periphs except the connections to the LCD and the keyboard/touchpad. memory out for sure. Then start replacing them one by one. If it doesnt boot and doesnt give beep codes with nothing in it then its pretty much established that its the mobo.
    I wake up in the morning, wash my face, brush my teeth, and sharpen my tongue.
    Preparation is half the battle, its also a butt cream.

Hi GothicType,

OTOH, if it's something that would require a proper technician to diagnose, I'll just end up getting a new laptop.
    It is only with the greatest self-restraint that I don't you for that remark.

I would suggest that you start with the least cost/least effort solutions first

Clean out all the dust bunnies from the vents and fans. Do go as far as the CPU cooling fan............that is the prime suspect. I bought a card full of artist's (oil painting) brushes at a market for £1....... I use those and a can of compressed "air". Remember to clean out the heatsink as well.

The splash screen is probably the desktop equivalent of "no signal received" because your system has shut down to protect itself, but the screen is still getting power.

"Proper technician"...........

Custom User
    lmao.

I'm just a bit hesitant because it's a laptop and I don't have any experience of doing anything other than changing the hard disk or memory - if it was a desktop it would be another matter. But since you've basically ridiculed me, I'll try out the suggestions that you guys suggested; might have to wait till the end of the week though when my exams are over.

Thanks,

ac

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Exclamation

I went to turn it on today and it appears to be bu****ed. What's happening is the IBM splash screen comes up (where it asks you if you want to enter Access IBM - i.e. the bios config), the cpu fan starts making a lot of noise for a while, then nothing. It just stays on the splash screen. If I press the bios config button, the text at the bottom of the screen that asks me if I want to enter the config disappears, but the splash still stays on the screen.
    Anyone have any idea what's going wrong? I use the laptop for everything - mainly uni - and it would be pretty gutting if I had to ditch it now. OTOH, if it's something that would require a proper technician to diagnose, I'll just end up getting a new laptop.
    If you see errors during the *pre-boot* sequence, they are not related to Windows XP, since the operating system has yet been loaded.
    When the *pre-boot* sequence is completed then the boot sequence begins.

I would recommend going into the BIOS and reset everything back to default.

IMO, something with the unit itself. Either way I would probably look into getting something a little bit newer unless you want to dump money in it
    which honestly wouldnt be worth it.
    Last edited by Computernerd22; May 17th, 2007 at 03:10 AM.

You might google your problem. Not sure it's going to be much help
    with a CPU fan failure, but it gave me a workaround on this IBM 600X.
    I get an "08614" (or it 08611?) error and a post code when I boot
    this thing. It really started after using an aftermarket battery and
    the trackpoint (mouse) went bonkers, constantly sliding to the left
    and being unuseable.

After googling my problem, the workaround is to have a mouse in the
    PS2 port. At the post code, I hit the Esc key, get another post code,
    where I hit F1, then up pops GRUB (boot menu). You might try a few
    choice keywords in a search.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Like all "brand name" units this will have its own version of BIOS. The general sequence of events is:

1. Power up
    2. Boot the BIOS
    3. Offer "setup" or "config" of the BIOS
    4. Start to load Windows
    5. Offer startup options (F8)
    6. Load Windows
    7. Present login screen

It sounds as if we are getting somewhere between #2 and #3. It won't let him change the BIOS when he takes the #3 option. In theory I would expect the BIOS to have given one beep?

Apart from cleaning it thoroughly and checking the fans, I would also try it on mains power without the battery attached.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Like all "brand name" units this will have its own version of BIOS. The general sequence of events is:

1. Power up
    2. Boot the BIOS
    3. Offer "setup" or "config" of the BIOS
    4. Start to load Windows
    5. Offer startup options (F8)
    6. Load Windows
    7. Present login screen

It sounds as if we are getting somewhere between #2 and #3. It won't let him change the BIOS when he takes the #3 option. In theory I would expect the BIOS to have given one beep?
    Hmmm, I always though it was;

1.) When the computer is powered on, it runs a Power-On- Self Test (POST) routine. The POST detects the processor you are using, how much memory is present, what hardware is recognized, and whether the BIOS is standard or as Plug-and-Play capabilities.

2.)The BIOS points to the boot device, and the Master Boot Record (MBR) is loaded.

3.)The MBR points to the active partition. The active partition is used to specify the partition that should be used to boot the operating system. This is usually the *C: drive*. Once the MBR locates the active partition, the boot sector is loaded into memory and executed.

4.) As part of windows xp pro installtion process, the NTLDR file is copied to the active partition. The boot sectors points to the NTLDR file, and this file executes. The NTLDR file is used to initialize and start the windows xp boot process.

Cheers, cn22

Hi, CN22,

You are quite correct, that is what is happening "under the hood" so to speak.

I guess I have been exposed to users too long? What I was referring to is what you usually see on the screen as it is going through the process.

It seems to be failing at the point at which you would enter the BIOS setup.

If he is lucky, it is some sort of thermal cut out triggered by the fact that it is full of dust bunnies, or the CPU fan is on the way out (he did mention that it ran noisily for a short period?)

I have also seen laptops behave strangely due to the battery failing, even though it was connected to the mains.

Other than that, I would agree that it isn't worth taking to a repair shop.

I haven't experienced or heard of this particular behaviour before. About the only thing I can think of trying is to completely kill power to reset the bios, but that requires enough disassembly to get to the small battery inside that powers the bios when the main battery is out.
    If your hard drive is okay all your data can be transferred by either connecting to a desktop with a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, or an IDE to usb adapter, or to another notebook with the IDE to usb adapter or by putting it in a small external usb enclosure.
    If your hard drive had died, you should get an error msg. like "missing operating system" and you certainly would be able to enter the bios settings. If your ram had done bad, you should get warning beeps. Try reseating the ram, at least the stick(s) that are accessible. And reseat the hard drive for good measure, if it's reasonably easy to access.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")