Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sign of a true lurker

Well if they label us that way, send em to me. The contact us link at every page bottom goes to me and the site editor. We'll set em straight. Unfortunately there's 2 sides to everything, and the other side of security discussion is breaching it. :|

Thats their exact argument for the opposite side, some sites of ill-repute often contain some valuable information on securing your own systems. There is a wormy site out there that contains some of the most up to date info about little breaches that are made in everyday software. Apparently our IT staff here don't keep up to date on what the newest exploits are, maybe thats why we have a virus problem!
    I wake up in the morning, wash my face, brush my teeth, and sharpen my tongue.
    Preparation is half the battle, its also a butt cream.

Well the term "hacker" is by now totally redundant. Where have you been these last three years slot?.......... in solitary, or on some witness protection scheme?

What we have today are:

1. Cyber-criminals. These people herd the bot armies, steal personal data for resale, and support spammers. They actually make good money out of their activities

2. Cyber Punks. These are the "wannabes" who will never make it, or anything, because they just do not have the intellect. You will find them running off at the mouth on IRC or pathetic "1337" sites.

3. Scumbags. These are pathetic, late entrants to the human race, who will be lucky to even finish it Go to H-Zone to see how totally 1337 these pathetic excuses for humanity are.............. "I am 1337, I defaced Franny Bloomberg's Poodle manicure site"......

"hey man! how 1337........ is dem doze deth poodlez teh Man uses in I-rak?"

Anybody who admires or glorifies the latter two classes should be taken to a veterinary and put down. I respect the first class because they avoid capture and make a living out of it.

So, slot old chap, which one are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Slot
    Thats their exact argument for the opposite side, some sites of ill-repute often contain some valuable information on securing your own systems. There is a wormy site out there that contains some of the most up to date info about little breaches that are made in everyday software. Apparently our IT staff here don't keep up to date on what the newest exploits are, maybe thats why we have a virus problem!
    I get that, and it's very tough here, believe me, to ascertain which is which and try to maintain the integrity of the site. I mean it really is a fine line sometimes. Best I can do is try to get a feel for the person's intent and their general persona.

Nih, I don't think he's any of those

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    So, slot old chap, which one are you?
    You only listed the 3 genres of blackhats . I consider myself a whitehat hacker, I breach only my own computers security and I only disclose information for the sake of assisting other people with security flaws. Although I will say that I wish I was a totally 1337 hacker. They make my heart flutter.

Also, lol'n @ deth poodlez.

And that's the category I mentioned earlier. If you have a system and it's security has never been tested by attempting to breach it, then you don't know that it's secure.

Slot,

You only listed the 3 genres of blackhats
    You are quite correct. Unfortunately the media are responsible for this, I think?.... all "hackers" are illegal "blackhats" in their eyes?

Back in the day,............ please don't ask when, but as a hint, we used 80 column punched cards, and there were no GUIs or screen outputs.......... just about everything ran in batch, and you waited three days to get a result

Then, a hacker was somebody who could get things done, frequently in an unconventional or innovative way.............. hey, I am talking about the days when you would wake up the night sysops by submitting a batch job that would play "Battle Hymn of the Republic" on the vacuum drives

You have things soft these days son....................

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Slot,

You are quite correct. Unfortunately the media are responsible for this, I think?.... all "hackers" are illegal "blackhats" in their eyes?

Back in the day,............ please don't ask when, but as a hint, we used 80 column punched cards, and there were no GUIs or screen outputs.......... just about everything ran in batch, and you waited three days to get a result

Then, a hacker was somebody who could get things done, frequently in an unconventional or innovative way.............. hey, I am talking about the days when you would wake up the night sysops by submitting a batch job that would play "Battle Hymn of the Republic" on the vacuum drives

You have things soft these days son....................
    You mean when the dinosaurs frolicked in green fields of VAXen?

Yeah that's the OLD definition of a hacker, all but extinct now.

Slot,

You may have read about PDP11s. some of us have actually used them in anger

Actually the IBM I am referring to predates them.......................