Thread: DOS attack on a US site? Thats a bombing.

DOS attack on a US site? Thats a bombing.

Don't know if you guys have read about this yet but apparently if the US deems you a "cyberthreat" they will now retaliate with bombs. Just good info to remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_Backbone_DDoS_Attacks

On February 8, 2007 it was announced by Network World that "If the United States found itself under a major cyberattack aimed at undermining the nation’s critical information infrastructure, the Department of Defense is prepared, based on the authority of the president, to launch a cyber counterattack or an actual bombing of an attack source."[2] This is likely due to one of the DNS root servers being under the control of the United States Department of Defense.
    I wake up in the morning, wash my face, brush my teeth, and sharpen my tongue.
    Preparation is half the battle, its also a butt cream.

Well you have to hand it to em for taking a proactive approach. I dunno bout anyone else, but I've always found major explosives being dropped on me from the sky, to be a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Well you have to hand it to em for taking a proactive approach. I dunno bout anyone else, but I've always found major explosives being dropped on me from the sky, to be a deterrent.
    I just find it hilarious that a Denial of Service attack is usually launched from thousands of computers at the same time. I can honestly see a multipronged US attack based solely on the fact the georgey can't get to fox news.
    I wake up in the morning, wash my face, brush my teeth, and sharpen my tongue.
    Preparation is half the battle, its also a butt cream.

If Israel had such a rule, it would be scary. The US, bwhahahaha... if they bomb someones house they will build a mansion in its place right...and they would get a new car. After signing a treaty and sitting through 200+ hours of UN delegations. Now the guards they will post at the corners of your property will only be annoying for the first three years, after that you'll learn to ignore them.
    Of course during all this if you so happen to have a software firewall your going to get really annoyed with Al "I built the interwebs" Haxorz attempts. ( and yes, I know big bro can actually haxor most the electronics I own)

Whoa, just a bit to cynical today, I'll just bugger off now.
    "I have died, I will die, It's alright, I don't mind"

This is the article:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...ks.html?page=1

Realistically the attacks will come from within the USA, and then probably China and the former Soviet Union. So there won't be anything to bomb (read your Constitution ) or that the USA would have the bawlz to bomb.

What disturbs me is that people in supposed positions of authority make these totally ignorant statements.

Quote Originally Posted by shatteredsoul
    If Israel had such a rule, it would be scary. The US, bwhahahaha... if they bomb someones house they will build a mansion in its place right...and they would get a new car. After signing a treaty and sitting through 200+ hours of UN delegations. Now the guards they will post at the corners of your property will only be annoying for the first three years, after that you'll learn to ignore them.
    Of course during all this if you so happen to have a software firewall your going to get really annoyed with Al "I built the interwebs" Haxorz attempts. ( and yes, I know big bro can actually haxor most the electronics I own)

Whoa, just a bit to cynical today, I'll just bugger off now.
    Sad but true. The US is the only nation I've ever heard of that drops bombs and care packages in the same day. Many of the citizens here are getting quite fed up with it, too. Much of the world is going to hate us whether we do things like that, or not. If they wish to hate us, fine, I have no problem with that. I just have a problem with it then they're doing it with a mouthful of our food.

I honestly do not think that Israel represents any sort of threat. It doubtless has its own cyber warfare capabilities, but is not really geared up for long distance military action.

Anyway, they don't own the internet spine

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    But he noted the preferred route would be warning the source to shut down the attack before a military response.

Hopefully they do that first - doubt any bombs will happen then
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

And with single bot armies of 100,000 to 250,000 scattered allover the place, just how do they think they would do that?..............

Send them all an e-mail?