Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One-at-a-time hacker grabs 22,000 ID's from University of Missouri

Banned

Angry One-at-a-time hacker grabs 22,000 ID's from University of Missouri

One-at-a-time hacker grabs 22,000 ID's from University of Missouri
    It is the school's second data breach this year
    -- A hacker grabbed the Social Security numbers of more than 22,300 current and former students at the University of Missouri, the school said yesterday.
    It was the institution's second data break-in of the year. According to university officials, the attack was launched from IP addresses in China and Australia and used a Web form for tracking the status of queries to the school's IT help desk.
    The hacker accessed the names and Social Security numbers of school employees during 2004 who were also current or onetime students; those records had been compiled for a report, but were overlooked rather than deleted.

IT staffers noticed unusual activity that began around 5:30 a.m. CDT last Thursday, then tied a large number of database query errors to the problem on Friday. Logs showed that the attacks ended at 9:34 a.m. Friday.
    That day, technicians disabled the account used to access the database from one IP address in China and another in Australia. The FBI was alerted on Monday.

"The hacker was able to reach the information by making thousands of queries over a span of hours, allowing the identities to be exposed one at a time," the university reported.
    A Web page and toll-free telephone line have been set up to take questions from students, the school said. Officials are also contacting as many of the affected people as possible.

Yesterday, the toll-free line was overwhelmed, a school spokeswoman said today, and some callers heard a recording that said the desk was closed. That problem has been solved by boosting the number of staffers answering the phones. Computerworld confirmed that the hot line was working today, with wait times of approximately three minutes.

This is the second incident at the University of Missouri in recent months. In February, the school acknowledged that a server attack in January might have exposed the identities of 1,220 researchers on its four campuses. The spokeswoman declined to comment on whether there could be any connection between the two events.

In its message to potential identity theft victims, the university said that it "takes this matter very seriously" and noted that it wasn't the only organization to be attacked. "All companies or organizations using the Internet to serve their customers face this challenge." Last year, reported the Columbia Missourian, then-university President Elson Floyd ordered that employee Social Security numbers information be deleted from online databases.
    Universities are a frequent target of identity thieves, according to the data breach chronology compiled by the Privacy Rights *************. Since Jan. 1, 27 colleges or universities have been victimized by attackers. The list includes well-known institutions such as the University of Notre Dame, Ohio State University, Purdue University and Rutgers. Several, in fact, have been hit multiple times: Notre Dame, the University of Idaho and the University of New Mexico each suffered two attacks in the first four months of 2007.
    Original Story here:> One-at-a-time hacker grabs 22,000 ID's from University of Missouri

Shame. Shame..... Shame..
    Last edited by acidtone; May 10th, 2007 at 03:06 AM.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    That day, technicians disabled the account used to access the database from one IP address in China and another in Australia. The FBI was alerted on Monday.
    The person probably downloaded the entire database. If the FBI is involved 99% chance he will get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Computernerd22
    The person probably downloaded the entire database. If the FBI is involved 99% chance he will get caught.
    99% chance (s)he will get caught? Or 99% chance that once (s)he is caught, they will be in loads of trouble?

I'm going for the latter. The former implies that just because the FBI is involved that they're for sure going to be caught. If this is the case, then why do they have a "Most Wanted" list? Obviously, they haven't caught everyone...

But I agree with the latter. If the FBI is involved, which judging from the story they are indeed involved, then if/when they are caught, either they will be offered a job, or they will be learning to live the jail life...

you clearly have a lot more faith in the FBI than I do. Especially when international law and extradition is involved.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Well, even if he/she is caught...are the stolen social security numbers safe?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

i seriously doubt that this persons in china. i have a hotspot shield that changes my ip address from where i live to dallas texas. he/she would definetly not want any to trace his/her ip address but probably as a failsafe used an ip address from china or austraila to throw them off his/her trail. he/she is probably someone local. he/she might even be doing this because he/she didn't get accepted in any of these prestigious schools and simply wants to get back at them. thats is usually the case. he/she might also get cocky because he/she thinks they eluded the fbi and they start to make stupid mistakes. happens all the time. this person will get caught soon enough if the media keeps adding hype to the situation. pretty soon our little friend will get a big head and try and do something stupid failing to cover his/her tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosclown
    i seriously doubt that this persons in china. i have a hotspot shield that changes my ip address from where i live to dallas texas. he/she would definetly not want any to trace his/her ip address but probably as a failsafe used an ip address from china or austraila to throw them off his/her trail. he/she is probably someone local. he/she might even be doing this because he/she didn't get accepted in any of these prestigious schools and simply wants to get back at them. thats is usually the case. he/she might also get cocky because he/she thinks they eluded the fbi and they start to make stupid mistakes. happens all the time. this person will get caught soon enough if the media keeps adding hype to the situation. pretty soon our little friend will get a big head and try and do something stupid failing to cover his/her tracks.
    Have you ever thought about taking a cereer in writing laws and or EULAs?

Quote Originally Posted by chaosclown

Hacker? Use a proxy? You've gotta be kidding... Now they have thought of everything!
    I wake up in the morning, wash my face, brush my teeth, and sharpen my tongue.
    Preparation is half the battle, its also a butt cream.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    The former implies that just because the FBI is involved that they're for sure going to be caught. If this is the case, then why do they have a "Most Wanted" list? Obviously, they haven't caught everyone...
    Everyone on the FBI's *Most Wanted list* are not hackers/crackers. They didnt commit any crime(s) with a computer. However, the person who did this will get caught it's just a matter of time. It's easier catching someone on the net than catching a murder running loose on the streets and on the FBI's most wanted list.

IMO, inside job or one of the students trying to see how 31337 they really are. Again, just IMO. If this is the case, believe you and me they will get caught.

Everyone on the FBI's *Most Wanted list* are not hackers/crackers. They didnt commit any crime(s) with a computer. However, the person who did this will get caught it's just a matter of time. It's easier catching someone on the net than catching a murder running loose on the streets and on the FBI's most wanted list.

IMO, inside job or one of the students trying to see how 31337 they really are. Again, just IMO. If this is the case, believe you and me they will get caught.
    True, I havent checked The List. I hope I'm not getting coal this year ;-) But, I guess the most wanted people would be those who have committed awful crimes.

The only point I was making is that some people never get caught. Some do. If (s)he is smart, they'll melt every piece of electronic equipment they have, throw the remains into an active volcano, never buy another computer, never touch any device connected to the web, and go live in the forest for the rest of their human life.....this might make it harder for the FBI ;-)