Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One-at-a-time hacker grabs 22,000 ID's from University of Missouri

I very much doubt if anyone will be caught because I don't think that the FBI will even bother to look. Realistically, if a computer is owned and used for this sort of thing for an extended period of time (as this was) there is unlikely to be much in the way of evidence as security is nonexistent.

I would imagine that the information is only really of value within the USA? and that the FBI will be waiting for someone to try to use it fraudulently.

It is much easier to follow the money

Banned

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by z31200n3
    The only point I was making is that some people never get caught. Some do. If (s)he is smart, they'll melt every piece of electronic equipment they have, throw the remains into an active volcano, never buy another computer, never touch any device connected to the web, and go live in the forest for the rest of their human life.....this might make it harder for the FBI ;-)
    Or all the person needs 2 do is go hide out with osama bin laden, and they will never be found.

I doubt anything will happen

The FBI will probably not catch anyone.
    they have levels assigned to hacking, this is probably a very low priority. mostly because stolen ssn's and names are not a high priority, stolen identities are not really all that bad for the economy, if your identity is stolen you have to pay the government alot of money to prove that your the person you say you are.
    as well the banks which are the backbone of the Government and all those associated with the government make alot of money anytime your identity is stolen because you have to pay them as well to prove who you are, and usually a large fee is included when you get identity theft protection.

for those of you who believe that our government and those affiliated with it, such as the fbi are looking out for you, you are sadly mistaken.

the individuals are probably all very good people who care deeply for the people they have sworn to protect, but the people above them are the ones who make the decisions.

so like some have said, most likely nothing will be done, its all political from here.

i also agree that investing the resources in a traceback of spoofed and proxied IP's is a large investment that they are probably not likely to make.

hackers only get caught when its easy to catch them, or when its politically expedient to catch them. otherwise good luck. i've been a sysadmin for an isp for a while now and i've had companies call me because they have been hacked, and couldnt get any real help from the authorities because it would cost too many man hours to justify the return they could get from jailing the criminals.

justice without profit is a pointless enterprise here in america.

I wonder if all these "leaks" are genuine? The major ones obviously seem to be, but I suspect others might be honeytraps for fraudsters in the USA?

Like a whole bunch of known fakes made available courtesy of the FBI.

Yup, they are unintended honeypots like the DOD and Mastercard honeypots.
    sudo

Hey sandcraft, I think that you might have missed my point there....... create a "Sting" type scenario with a small, unknown outfit........ let them in to the honeytrap and bust them when they try to use the info for fraud?

Sure, you get the publicity, but you would need that to lull the perps into a false sense of security? also to give weight to the street value of the data?

I am well aware of the laws regarding "entrapment" we have similar over here

It just struck me that the forces of darkness would prefer to play on home ground, and according to their rules?

Remember, it is far easier to deal with a common fraudster than to nail a geek, so they prefer to stick with what they know?

yeah, well actually there are no more entrapment laws in America anymore.
    we have the handy dandy anti-patriot act (i changed the name to reflect the reality) where they don't even need evidence to arrest you and imprison you. sorta like the set of laws Hitler passed to allow the Nazi's to perpetrate their crimes without the repercussions of laws, the only rule, don't mess with the rich people.
    so what your suggesting is probably a very real possibility, but i think its giving entirely too much credit where it isn't due.

governing_system('american laws') ? != 'more money' || != 'political power' : array(the_people => 'rights' = NULL);
    or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by levi_501_dehaan
    yeah, well actually there are no more entrapment laws in America anymore.
    we have the handy dandy anti-patriot act (i changed the name to reflect the reality) where they don't even need evidence to arrest you and imprison you. sorta like the set of laws Hitler passed to allow the Nazi's to perpetrate their crimes without the repercussions of laws, the only rule, don't mess with the rich people.
    so what your suggesting is probably a very real possibility, but i think its giving entirely too much credit where it isn't due.

governing_system('american laws') ? != 'more money' || != 'political power' : array(the_people => 'rights' = NULL);
    or something like that
    Pretty much exactly like that.