Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Images in IE 7 wont display

Images in IE 7 wont display

Hi guys..its been awhile since ive posted on here but I have a problem. When I go to facebook.com and try to look at pictures some of them dont show up and i get INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY THIS WEBPAGE. This mainly happens on facebook but it happens on other sites as well. Any help? Id appreciate it

Why not try the Microsoft support facilities if you have a problem with their software?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431

get Firefox dude, stop using IE, its insecure, and just plain crappy.

Microsoft coders suffer from cranial rectal inversion.

www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

click on the big green button and run the application, you can import all your ie bookmarks, and then delete all the icons for ie, dont delete the executable as windows needs it to function properly.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Talking

What makes Internet Explorer crappy and insecure? IM curious to know what you think.

I don't run or use Firefox. I run Internet Explorer only. Most sites are strictly coded for IE (not firefox) so if you run 3rd party web browsers like opera, netscape, firefox etc.... it will not display/run them properly.

Also, you can secure IE through the *Group Policy Object* something you cannot do with firefox. (last time I checked, that is.)

Also, you don't think Firefox has it's fare share of vulnerabilities? I think so

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...s.html#Firefox

maybe IE isnt as insecure as you think.

Cheers, cn22

Most sites are strictly coded for IE (not firefox) so if you run 3rd party web browsers like opera, netscape, firefox etc.... it will not display/run them properly.
    That is incorrect, and has been for quite a few years, hell's teeth man, I was using Netscape back in the days of NT 4.0 !!!!!!!!! If your site is "strictly coded for IE" I would recommend that you take your programmer to one side and tell him to pick a window because he is going out.....and don't forget to toss his Zimmer frame after him

You can get a plugin for FireFox that will cater for IE only sites (of which there are very few).

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Though I love Firefox I have run into issues where Firefox running behind a proxy will screw up DNS requests and give you a lot of page not founds.

I have not found a way through the menus to force Firefox to a particular IP address for DNS requests.

Somehow or another IE and Opera can do it with no manipulation. This happens on a Win2000 pro laptop or an Ubuntu (fiesty fawn) sharing a connection through a proxy.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Banned

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by levi_501_dehaan

Microsoft coders suffer from cranial rectal inversion.
    Howdy.

looks like we got ourself a firefox fanboy. lol. could you maybe provide some more detail on why Ie is so insecure, and please explain what you mean by crappy?

sorry but you might mean one thing with your few words describing it, but to others reading it could take it to mean something else.
    Maybe clarify it with more detail and maybe some facts with the pro's 'n cons of each browser.

cheers
    acidtone..

Quote Originally Posted by Computernerd22
    Also, you can secure IE through the *Group Policy Object* something you cannot do with firefox. (last time I checked, that is.)
    Nope, firefox still won't play with group policy. What I have found we could do is set the config on a clean account then copy the firefox folder out of application data in the profile into everyone elses account then use the ranger software to title check the firefox configuration so that users can't change it.

Of course, that 1) requires the ranger software (or similar) and 2) means that we can't change the options either.

My view on the security of firefox is more that it has just as many bugs as IE. However, since firefox is not inserted three feet up the rectum of the OS if it dies it dies alone rather than taking everything with it.

I personally prefer firefox, I also write websites with firefox in mind. But the reallity is that most people will be using IE. A lot probably use IE 6 still. Heck, according to the hit counter on our website some still use IE5.

</off topic slightly>

As for the original question, sounds more like internet connection trouble. Perhaps an insane firewall/proxy or just plain dodgy connection.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Things are as secure as YOU make them. Out of the box this stuff is designed to make things easy for joe public who outnumbers the cognoscenti by more than Windows outnumbers other operating systems.

Last research I saw was: IE = 70%, other browsers = 30%. That means that sites need to cater for more than IE.

The apparent security of non-IE browsers is partly due to not supporting some functionality, and partly "security through obscurity".

Aard~ You don't really surprise me in thinking that IE6 is the largest browser population.

IE7......... Will only work with Win XP SP2 or "better" ()

IE6......... Will work with WIN98/98SE/ME/NT4 SP6a/2000/XP

IE5......... These will be the few surviving Win 95 and Win98 (not upgraded) boxes.........and possibly some AppleMacs (pre-OSX?)

Another consideration is that almost all of the boxes out there running unlicenced versions of Windows will be stuck on IE6?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Another consideration is that almost all of the boxes out there running unlicenced versions of Windows will be stuck on IE6?

Depends how much of a software pirate. I expect that LOADS of people have illegal copies of windows, done by more technical friends if nothing else. But a lot less people know that a cracked version of IE is available on bit torrent.

Yarrrr! Internet Pirate I be,
    Off to sail the seven ISPs!
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.