Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copyright Materials & IP

Copyright Materials & IP

There is a continuing debate over filesharing and the "piracy" of copyrighted materials. Particularly as the laws are very varied throughout the Globe.

I think that this website is interesting, as it sets out the UK stance on the matter. "From the horse's mouth" so to speak.

Please note that "illegal" here means "criminal" (a felony) rather than an infringement of Civil Law.

It is interesting to note that it is "legal"

1. To purchase pirated media
    2. To posess pirated media (other than for distribution)
    3. Presumably to download pirated performances?

It is illegal to manufacture or distribute copyrightable performances. So it is illegal to upload them, as that constitutes "distribution".

It is interesting to see the very "careful wording" given that the source is the industry body

Website is here:

http://www.fact-uk.org.uk/site/about/faq.htm#13

So, if they go after an ISP, they can only really go after the uploaders on the grounds of aiding and abetting illegal distribution. The same would hold good of colleges and schools.

I think it says that it is legal to buy it if it is from an overseas vendor?

Actually it is legal to buy them, selling them is the illegal bit:

While it is not an offence to buy pirated DVDs, the production, distribution and sale of pirated DVDs is a criminal offence and those found guilty can be punished by a maximum 10 years imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine in the Crown Court, and a maximum of £5,000 and/or six months imprisonment in the magistrates court.
    Overseas purchases are only relevant if the product does not have a rating by the Board of Film Censors. It is not legal to sell such material in the UK, but you can import it. The transaction has to take place outside the UK.

Now those are just UK laws right? Not US laws

Now those are just UK laws right? Not US laws
    It is pretty much the same here.

There is not responsibility on the consumer to determine that a video you buy from a shop is legally distributed. It is not illegal to copy a cd it is illegal to copy it and then (key word) distribute it.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Ahh nice to know. Not that I really buy dvd's I mostly use ondemand to watch things for free. I wonder if the same applies for software and other copyrighted material? I know companies can get in big trouble for using pirated software but maybe these laws only apply to people not companies.

I think in general drug dealers goto jail not drug users. In most cases at least. They want to stop the source.

Yes, those are UK laws. I thought it might interest people as it partly explains the British approach as opposed to that of the RIAA and MPAA.

We have traditionally pursued counterfeiters rather than file sharers. I guess they will start to go after uploaders eventually, but at the moment the priority seems to be those people who are making money out of it.

Yeah it should be that way. Target the people who effect the most amount of other people. Hey and I hope it works better than the RIAA. I think 9 year olds should be exempt from laws regarding downloading music anyways :-p

Hmmm,

We seem to have different rules for parental responsibility as well. They can't sue the parents.

Actually, if it is just a copyright thing then it would be considered a violation of the EULA rather than a "crime". This is interesting because if a minor is sold a CD or DVD the EULA doesn't hold good because they are not old enough to enter into a legally binding contract

In the US some one HAS to be found responsible. Thats why the RIAA sues 12 year olds then it ends up being the parents fault :-/