Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DNS problem?

It's a gas!
    Ill have to run a tracert from home to work again but from work to home its failing

"BTW: From the sound of it, you have one IP address and that is port forwarded to a server on your internal network. I hope you understand that you really should not do this for public servers. This server should be a stand alone server and should sit in the DMZ behind a firewall. It is never a very good idea to serve from your internal LAN."

We have port 3389 forwarded to an internal IP of the server we want to remote desktop to. Does this respresent a security risk?

I see where the tracert is failing...ill have to contact the ISP to find out what this IP address is assigned to.

I understand that it is failing... the question is; Where is it failing?
    Do you have a good understanding of how tracert works?
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Ok, I see now that you know where it is failing. Find out what the device is. See if it also fails at the same place when you trace from home to work. I recenlty had a routing problem like this. The ISP updated the router that we use as a default gateway for one of our branch offices. We were able to get to it from some places, but not all. They misconfigured a network mask on the router.

How is you're home machine connected? Dial up? Broadband? Are you directly connected, or do you have a router? Did you setup the home router with a static IP? Or, DHCP?

Another good utility to familiar yourself with is the pathping command.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

It won't do a whole lot of good in this situation... but if you were trying to figure out latency problems, it combines tracert and ping. You could tracert a connection and then manually ping each hop, but that is a waste of time when pathping is there. Especially when the path could change with each trace depending on the source and destination and the routing protocols being used.

I personally would not forward anything directly from the internet to a host on a private network.

If the service is only for internal users, then use a VPN.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VPN

If the service is for internal and external users, then use a DMZ.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demilitarized_zone_(computing)
    Last edited by phishphreek; May 17th, 2007 at 02:29 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

It's a gas!
    I am familiar with the tracert and pathping commands and how they work.
    I know where it is failing and have spoken with the ISP who say it could be that particular router not replying to ICMP requests.
    Im going to try telneting to our site when i get home to see if i get a connection.

u can use netstat for getting info of all the connections to the pc(including lan,internet and any devices which work on ip systemm). From there u can find out the server, and then use the port. In case of router, u can type netstat your router address(usually 192.xxx.xxx.xxx) and then find all the connections there. U can also use hatsmyip.org to find all open ports!!!

Happy Computing n Best of Luck

Prattzz

So... r3b00t, what was the outcome?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

If you are still figuring out things you can try http://www.opendns.com/ it actually is pretty nice and it can help narrow down the culprit.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    oofki,

Thanks for this link. I don't know who Verizon dsl was using but I was getting some wild pages on the other PCs in my house that connect through my gateway.

Now I gotta correct the rest of the units.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

They probably have their own dns server. You can usually "override" all the dns's in the router config.

Edit: Oh yeah did that fix your problem? Was it the DNS server?

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    It definitely corrected the issues on my home lan. The "gateway" pc had no issues whatsoever. The other pcs that connected to the internet through it had problems with Firefox and Galeon but Internet Explorer and Opera had no problems.

I'd get 404s or hijacked to other unwanted pages. Using OpenDNS things are navigating correctly. I actually had to edit the DSL modem configuration as it was overriding the PC config.

Life is good.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Nice! That is an awesome dns server. It actually corrects you if you type something wrong. www.antionline.cmo would bring you here still :-)