Looks like ingenious hackers have done it again. Now they're taking advantage of a nice Windows Update feature known as BITS. Background Intelligent Transfer Service lets patches download automatically (it's an asynchronous file transfer service) without affecting users' other network activities that are going on at the same time. The problem is, it can be programmed to download anything users desire and that means hackers can, too. This article points out that because BITS is part of the operating system, it bypasses the local firewall and the hackers just update their content. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent hackers from using BITS, but it doesn't look like there's any risk to the BITS itself and supposedly the Windows Update won't be compromised either - at least that's what the director of Symantec's security response group says.
Original Source:> Pesky Hackers always seem to find their way in !

i love this part of the article, it sent a shiver down my back but made me giggle at the same time

there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent hackers from using BITS, but it doesn't look like there's any risk to the BITS itself and supposedly the Windows Update won't be compromised either - at least that's what the director of Symantec's security response group says.
So witch one is it then? is it compromisable or isn't it? and as far as that statement coming from Symantec's security response group. Well we all know just how good those Symantec apps are, so what.... / who...... do we trust.?

cheers
acidtone..