Thread: Pesky Hackers always seem to find their way in !

Banned

Thumbs down Pesky Hackers always seem to find their way in !

Looks like ingenious hackers have done it again. Now they're taking advantage of a nice Windows Update feature known as BITS. Background Intelligent Transfer Service lets patches download automatically (it's an asynchronous file transfer service) without affecting users' other network activities that are going on at the same time. The problem is, it can be programmed to download anything users desire and that means hackers can, too. This article points out that because BITS is part of the operating system, it bypasses the local firewall and the hackers just update their content. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent hackers from using BITS, but it doesn't look like there's any risk to the BITS itself and supposedly the Windows Update won't be compromised either - at least that's what the director of Symantec's security response group says.
    Original Source:> Pesky Hackers always seem to find their way in !

i love this part of the article, it sent a shiver down my back but made me giggle at the same time

there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent hackers from using BITS, but it doesn't look like there's any risk to the BITS itself and supposedly the Windows Update won't be compromised either - at least that's what the director of Symantec's security response group says.
    So witch one is it then? is it compromisable or isn't it? and as far as that statement coming from Symantec's security response group. Well we all know just how good those Symantec apps are, so what.... / who...... do we trust.?

cheers
    acidtone..

Hey acid~,

Wake up cobber! ..............at the top of our main page you will see a section called: EIT Planet's Security News, well, the first item over the past couple of days has been: Is Microsoft Update Infecting You?

Am I the only guy who reads the articles and adverts on this site?

Banned

Talking

Howdy.

Nihil, unfortunatly i don't see that part of the site, i have it filtered by proxomitron so i don't even see the ads or those eit ads anymore.

I didn't like that they took up space on my ao viewing pleasure, so i have a special config file for the proxomitron web filter app and it strips the unwanted stuff then displays the page.

lol maybe i should uncheck the setting and take me a looksie lol.

thanks for the heads up though..

cheers
    acidtone..

Yes,

I had to adjust mine so I didn't get the annoying animated stuff, but there are some interesting articles that I did not want to miss........ links in them as well

Just Another Geek
    As I understand it, they (the hackers, ahum..) haven't compromised BITS. BITS actually has an API you can use to get it to download something in the background without interfering with the user's experience. It's main use has been to download the windows update patches in the background.

Most people who use PFW granted BITS access to the internet so it can download these needed patches. Unfortunately things can get ugly when the bad guys use BITS to download malware (updates) to your PC.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Talking

You can always just disable the service. However, if you do this features such as Windows Update will not work correctly. Also, BITS depends on the system components Remote Procedure Call. (RPC)
    Start, run, services.msc Find *Background intelligent transfer service* and disable it. (if you wanted to)

Description of BITS - Transfers data between clients and servers in the background. If BITS is disabled, features such as Windows Update will not work correctly.

Am I the only guy who reads the articles and adverts on this site?
    Also, the only guy with almost *12,000 posts*. That has to be some sort of internet record.