Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WSUS 3.0 Available

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar

WSUS 3.0 Available

To anyone who uses the WSUS software, 3.0 is available for download -
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I just started using it today and it seems like MS has made some user friendly improvements. Overall, it's fairly decent for a network patching solution. In any event, it's free so I'm not going to complain.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

god, I only wish we could get WSUS working. This is the only thing I'm really miffed about with the ranger software, for whatever reason it won't let us set the windows updates group policy.

windows updates on 200 pcs individually is a pita.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Aardpsymon,
    I'm not very educated on Ranger software. I did a little research on it. Are you talking about Ranger for Networks? If so, it said it works along-side of Windows OS's. Does this software prevent any/all changes to the network via GP?
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

ShagDevil: I just downloaded the whitepapers and whatnot the other day. I just haven't had a chance to play around with it yet.

Did you upgrade from v2? If so, did it go smoothly?

I just browsed the docs, but I didn't see a way to upgrade.

I have it in VMWare sessions, so I suppose it would be easy enough to "ditch" should something go wrong.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Did you upgrade from v2? If so, did it go smoothly?
    Yes and Yes
    Just a warning that it takes some getting used to. The interface is completely different now and finding some stuff can be a pain in the arse. Overall though, I really like the improvements. The biggest thing I like are the approval rule sets I can create. But anyway, so far so good.

I finally moved all of the computers over following about a month of testing. Everything has been working smootly. I like it much better than version 2. However, I had to completely start from scratch as my wsus v2 was on 2k servers and v3 is only supported on 2k3. I also like the approval rulesets you can create.

Are you encrypting the communications using ssl? I am for the domain members... but I think I'm going to have to leave the boxes that are not domain members unencrypted because I can't push out the certs. I'm encrypting between replica servers but I'm going to have to leave off the ssl requirement for one of the servers... Not that it really matters... I'm on a private LAN and it's not going over the internet or anything.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Oh, one more thing. I wish there was a way I could tell which update corresponded to which file in the catalog. The update server has only one update needing files... but the file is 30gb?! It's been downloading for quite a while. I can't determine which one it is yet... I can track down the temp file... but thats it.

Has anyone had any issues with clients contacting the WSUS server? It can contact it by ping and can browse shares, remote desktop, authenticate logon etc. But even when i set the group policy setting manually, it still can't contact the server. any ideas?
    ...:::Pure Kn0wledge:::...

Yep, lots of them... need more info about your environment.

Which version of WSUS are you using?
    What clients (os version and service pack level?)

Are you running it on a nonstandard port?
    if so, you have to specify that in the gp settings.

What settings are you using in group policy (either local or domain).
    Are you specifying the server in the following formats?

http://wsus (standard setup, no ssl)
    https://wsus (standard setup, w/ssl)
    http://wsus:81 (nonstandard port, no ssl)
    https://wsus:8443 (nonstandard port, w/ssl)

Are you requiring SSL?
    If so, you have to import the certificate on the client either through gp or locally.

If I want to sync my nondomain members to a ssl required server, I have to manually import the cert on all those boxes. Otherwise, I have to point them to a server that doesn't require ssl. (ssl is not enabled by default)
    Last edited by phishphreek; July 17th, 2007 at 08:10 PM.

Are you encrypting the communications using ssl?
    Yepper.
    because I can't push out the certs
    How come? I used a program called SelfSSL, created my own SSL cert (for the WSUS server) and pushed it to all the clients via MMC (used the Certificate Snap-In). The only thing I remember that was an issue with pushing the cert to all the clients, was that it had to be saved in a certain format.
    but the file is 30gb?!
    Can't say I've run into that one. Let me know how that goes as I'm curious now.