Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MyFood.ie

MyFood.ie

Hey guys,

Haven't posted here in a while, doing the whole college and web design thing full-time, don't have much time for other things. Things sure have changed around here!!
    Anyway, just posting to see if I could get some constructive (or not) criticisms about my new recipe sharing website. Just launched it recently and trying to keep to a schedule of adding one new feature to it everyday. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

Banned
    Howdy.

Hmm nice site, the only real issue i have with it is the purple and green colours.

they don't flow in with the peach {Think that's the colour}.

maybe change those 2 colours to something less distracting, as soon as the page loaded i was immediatly drawn away from the important content in the center.
    so unless you inteded for visitors etc to be drawn to the bright colours either side, and not to the important content then maybe change them to a less distractive colour schema.

cheers
    acidtone..

Hmmm, I like the purple but not the green myself.

I will point out that in IE 7 the page truncates, chopping off your sponsor ads.

Also, strange one in firefox when I move the mouse over the category links strange white squares appear behind the text, looks like random garbage. Very strange indeed.

Nice idea though. Let me know when you want lots of web traffic, I think I know just the place to rustle some up.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Hey guys thanks for that, very helpful!

The purple looks more like a light blue on my machine but I'll definitely think about changing them to an less obtrusive colour scheme. Cheers, acidtone!

Worried about what you're saying, Aardpsymon, about the page truncation. I haven't come across it doing that yet on the machines I've tried it out on yet but I'll definitely be testing it out some more! Don't know what to say about the white squares, as they're just regular hyperlinks, no DHTML things going on, but I'll look into it. Cheers

Thanks again, guys!

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar

Thumbs up

jethro,
    The site looks good to me. The colors don't really phase me much (I thought they were fine anyway). More important to me is the ease of navigation which is well done on your site.
    Nice job. The only visual thing I noticed was the main logo. Seems a little fuzzy but nothing to really concern yourself about.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

OK, here goes:

Where you are using white as the script, I think that the background needs to be a few shades darker.

Certainly on the top menubar the peach on peach doesn't work......I would try darkening the text slightly..............

My "third attempt" is from the Banner County...............

[Two papal anulments out of three ain't bad, one ahead of Henry VIII, and level with Caroline of Monaco]

I bake a mean soda bread, but the recipe isn't the issue, it is the quality of the flour.

I think that I shall join your site for the craic..........

Cheers,

Johnno

interestingly, no white squares on this pc. could be a graphics glitch.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

ShagDevil > Did some work on the logo and it seems to look a bit better now. Thinking about converting it into a lossless format like PNG rather than JPEG because I think that stuff is appearing when I resize it.

nihil > Two papal annulments I can deal with
    I darkened the text of the inactive tabs, hopefully it looks a bit better now.
    When you refer to white are you referring to the white on either side of the main navigation bars?

Aardpsymon > Glad to hear that you didn't experience that problem on your other computer. Haven't been able to see that particular problem so far and I've looked at it on a few machines, but I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open

Thanks again, guys

Hi jethro,

Yes, that looks a lot easier to read.

I was referring to your two side panels. Because you are using pastel shades, the white text isn't really displayed that clearly.

I would suggest something the same as your top bar, and try using a darker shade of the background pastel?

Cheers

I've tested a few more PCs around the place, it is JUST this one that causes problems. Maybe I will try [F]ix with hammer.

I'd say the text on the top tabs needs to be a little darker still and yeah, the white on green is certainly a little hard to read.

Its something I've noticed far more with flatscreens than I ever did with CRTs, but everyones screen displays colours very differently and its more than just the brightness/contrast settings.