Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Plus Net Compromised.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Plusnet have quoted their contract:
    22.2 We have no liability (whether in negligence or otherwise) for any loss not reasonably foreseeable by us when this Contract starts, nor any loss of opportunity, goodwill, reputation, business, revenue, profit, or savings you expected to make, wasted expenditure, data being lost or corrupted, loss or damage incurred by you as a result of third party claims or any indirect, special or consequential loss or damage howsoever caused.
    I beleive my losses and costs could be reasonably forseen at the time of entering into the contract:

I believe it reasonable for Plusnet to foresee that, at the time of making the contract that:
    1) Customers using their service will register domains with companies other than Plusnet and use those domains for the purpose of email.
    2) Customers who need to change their domain(s) will incur cost and experience loss.
    3) To prevent unsolicited email from arriving at a domain will require the domain to be changed.

This is all with CISAS right now.

Interestingly enough Plusnet Customer Services refused to give me my CISAS ID claiming I'd have to wait three months (as per CISAS guidelines) until I asked how the situation was going to change over the next three months and then they relented.

I agree Ni, it's not big bucks I'm asking for, but I still think I should be able to cover my costs fixing this, and then of course there's the matter of my beloved domain I will have to loose <sob!>

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

It just gets better...

I was perstering Plusnet for a CISAS deadlock ID and got this in reply:

Dear Mr xxxxxx,
    No compensation will be offered in this circumstance.

Your ID is as follows: 513497

Regards,
    Mxxx Pxxxxx
    It turns out this is not a CISAS deadlock ID, but something else.

Now I wonder, has my persistance got under someone's skin and they have just replied with a random number, or is this part of Plusnet way of preventing me getting a CISAS ruling on this matter.

Just plain shoddy either way.

I've asked for the purpoose of that reply to be explained to me.

I now have a proper deadlock ID

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Hi Steve,

Interestingly enough Plusnet Customer Services refused to give me my CISAS ID claiming I'd have to wait three months (as per CISAS guidelines)
    For a brain dead customer service type, they seem to know rather a lot about the small print? I wonder why?

Your ID is as follows: 513497
    Only half a million complaints this week............ and it looks like you are at the bottom end of the food chain mate!

Seriously, perhaps the time has come to involve the forces of darkness.

1. They have obviously allowed your personal data to be compromised.
    2. They are obviously anally retentive when it comes to personal data (remember that they could still contact Moira after all that time?)
    3. I am pretty sure that they would not survive a serious Data Protection Act audit

As one squirrel said to the other squirrel: "go for the nuts mate"

I'm in communication with another similar minded Plusnet customer who is persuing the DPA route.

It seems likely that this will yield results, since there is no requirement for them to hold my email address on their webmail server as I dont use the service.

Whichever route proves to be the most useful will be adopted.

And then we'll publish the route to all their customers so that others may persue their losses.

Hi Steve,

Please keep us informed. I know that it is of relatively limited interest given that this is a UK company trading under UK corporate, contract, consumer, and data protection laws. But it does raise the issue of "what would happen to me if it were in my country?"

In the past, PlusNet have always tried to weasel out by blaming their "wholesaler", but now that they are owned by BT (our largest Telco and ISP, for our overseas readers) they cannot use that excuse anymore?

They are a wholly owned subsidiary, so "arms length trading" is no longer a legal option for them

You won't get any money from them, but they might offer you some free months service as that is only a marginal cost, and would not have so great an impact on their bottom line. If you think about it, the infrastructure is set up, your account is set up, and their ongoing maintenance costs of that account must be minimal?

Good luck mate!