Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Vehicle

New Vehicle

I've just recently started looking for a new vehicle. I'm currenlty in a 2003 Jeep Liberty 4x4- Freedom Edition.
    I like it, but I just want some thing new and different. I need a change.

I've been looking at the following two vehicles.

Dodge Nitro
    I took the Nitro for a test drive last night. The 3.7L 6cyl 210hp is a nice fit for the vehicle. Not too much nor too little power. It has an availalbe 4.0L 6cyl 255hp engine too... but I don't think I'll need that. I liked the way it drives. It's much more smoother than my Jeep. It actually feels just like my brother's Dodge Dakota. It has plenty of room and it has a lot of nice "standard" features. The load n go cargo option is pretty nice too... since I've been having lower back problems lately and I'm always loading/unloading heavier stuff.

Ford Edge
    I plan to drive this one today after work. It has a little more power than the Nitro and the "standard" options are not too bad either. I don't know that much about it yet. Just read a couple of reviews and thats it.

I was looking at cars too, but I like the SUV/Crossover. I do a lot of outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, kayaking/canoeing and I'm constantly loading/unloading computers/etc from my Jeep. I like having the cargo space.

We use my girl's Nissan Altima for long distance driving for both comfort and for better gas milage.

I personally would prefer to buy American. I've never owned a foreign car and I don't plan to. (Aside from my girl's Nissan... but that is her's, not mine.)

Please give me your opinions. Which do you like better out of the two above? Why? Why do you not like one over the other? Or, would you go a whole other direction?

I've also thought about getting another Jeep... and I love the Jeep. But, like I said above... I want something different. Those two are def. different.

I want to keep it under $30K and I'm looking to buy as early as this weekend.
    Last edited by phishphreek; May 18th, 2007 at 12:32 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Banned
    One quick comment: Consumer Reports tested the Nitro a few issues back, and found it to be one of the worst cars they had ever tested (highs: none; lows: it doesn't drive well, it doesn't brake well, it gets abominable fuel economy, it's cheaply-finished,...). The only reason to buy one, they say, is for its look (if you're into that - personally, the Nitro reminds me of that other breadbox-looking car, the Scion xB).

The Edge on the other hand got much better reviews, but cannot compete with the Murano (with which it is competing).

Also: "buying American" these days isn't that easy anymore, as there are plenty of domestic cars that are being built abroad, while the opposite is true, too. If you insist on an "American" brand, you might miss out on better cars for less money (that's not too say that all foreign cars are better and cheaper), only to find out that your "American" car was completely built in Mexico - you'll only have fooled yourself

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Which do you like better out of the two above? Why? Why do you not like one over the other? Or, would you go a whole other direction?

I've also thought about getting another Jeep... and I love the Jeep. But, like I said above... I want something different. Those two are def. different.

I want to keep it under $30K and I'm looking to buy as early as this weekend
    Me personally, I wouldnt choose either one of thoses as an option. Why? How often do you buy a new car or (awesome used car, I wouldnt spend 30,000 on a used car either) you want to make sure you get the most bang for your buck.

And to be honest your really short changing yourself for only wanting "american made" that really limits the car buying experience.

You can get an bad ass car for under 30,000. Me personally I would be looking at Acura, Infiniti, VW, BMW, Audi, Mitsubshi, etc... models not just limiting myself to *Ford & Dodge*. etc...

AOs Resident Troll
    I have a Dodge Ram...........and I hate it. its a piece of crap...poorly built and buggy

I will NEVER by a Dodge again.

For a truck we are looking at a GM.

We have 2 vehicles....one for when we have all 4 kids and towing the boat.

and the other...... a 99 Camry 220,000 kms and NO major issues ever.....for long hauls and gas mileage.

Every mechanic we have talked to says the Camrys are tanks...and we will get another 200,000 Km before any major work is needed.

I like the Murano too

and Mazda has good affordable vehicles also

My .02 cdn

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Talking

Every mechanic we have talked to says the Camrys are tanks...and we will get another 200,000 Km before any major work is needed.
    I second that. The Toyota Camrys are actually really nice cars. More old people buying them than young people anyways, I had one for a few months. Drove excellent, not to mention the 34mpg, big and roomy inside, nice sound system, I cant complain. And under 18,000

PS if I was looking at american made I would be checking out Chevys over ford or dodge.
    Last edited by Computernerd22; May 18th, 2007 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phishphreek
    I've just recently started looking for a new vehicle. I'm currenlty in a 2003 Jeep Liberty 4x4- Freedom Edition.
    I like it, but I just want some thing new and different. I need a change.

I've been looking at the following two vehicles.

Dodge Nitro
    I took the Nitro for a test drive last night. The 3.7L 6cyl 210hp is a nice fit for the vehicle. Not too much nor too little power. It has an availalbe 4.0L 6cyl 255hp engine too... but I don't think I'll need that. I liked the way it drives. It's much more smoother than my Jeep. It actually feels just like my brother's Dodge Dakota. It has plenty of room and it has a lot of nice "standard" features. The load n go cargo option is pretty nice too... since I've been having lower back problems lately and I'm always loading/unloading heavier stuff.

Ford Edge
    I plan to drive this one today after work. It has a little more power than the Nitro and the "standard" options are not too bad either. I don't know that much about it yet. Just read a couple of reviews and thats it.

I was looking at cars too, but I like the SUV/Crossover. I do a lot of outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, kayaking/canoeing and I'm constantly loading/unloading computers/etc from my Jeep. I like having the cargo space.

We use my girl's Nissan Altima for long distance driving for both comfort and for better gas milage.

I personally would prefer to buy American. I've never owned a foreign car and I don't plan to. (Aside from my girl's Nissan... but that is her's, not mine.)

Please give me your opinions. Which do you like better out of the two above? Why? Why do you not like one over the other? Or, would you go a whole other direction?

I want to keep it under $30K and I'm looking to buy as early as this weekend.
    I like the Chevy Trailblazer for Look and Comfort, not good on gas. If I wasn't buying a GMC/Chevy, it would be a VW (guess, I am similarly close minded)

Interesting. I just looked at the consumer report myself. Man, no wonder there were so many of them at the dealership. "We have the widest selection withing 60 miles..." No wonder! The dodge guys were talking trash on the Ford too... and the dealership is owned by the same people. LoL

I have considered VW and Acura. I like the VW Jetta and with the proper attachments, I can still cart around my boats. I suppose I don't have to limit myself to an "american" car, but I have always purchased american so I didn't see a reason to change it. Acura no longer makes the RSX... which is what I wanted.

I really really like the Jetta...

I'll take a look at some of the others too, just to be sure I'm not short changing myself.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Banned
    If you like the Jetta and you're on a $30K budget: what about the Passat? A 2.0T (4 cylinder) has an MSRP of $27,440, and is Consumer Report's best car in the 4-cylinder Family Sedan category (outscoring, among many others, the Altima, the Camry, and the Accord). In the 6-cylinder Family Sedan category, the Passsat (3.6 V6) also ranks first (shared with the Accord) - MSRP for that one is $33,315 (the Accord's is $27,850).

Consumer Reports also has some great tools for when it comes to the actual purchase. Most people make the mistake of bargaining down from the sticker price; you should be bargaining up from the bottom price. For $14, Consumer Reports can get you a report detailing exactly what the dealer paid to the manufacturer (the bottom price, including regional incentives and all those other little perks) - with that number in hand, you'll know exactly what the dealer's mark-up is.

Another tip is not to mention that you have a trade-in (if you have one) until you have agreed on the new car's price.

Get the Consumer Report's new car report ($14), get their report on your trade-in ($12), bargain up from the CR bottom price, and you'll probably save yourself a couple thousand bucks (I know I did)... http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/index.htm

Consumer Reports also has some great tools for when it comes to the actual purchase. Most people make the mistake of bargaining down from the sticker price; you should be bargaining up from the bottom price. For $14, Consumer Reports can get you a report detailing exactly what the dealer paid to the manufacturer (the bottom price, including regional incentives and all those other little perks) - with that number in hand, you'll know exactly what the dealer's mark-up is.

Another tip is not to mention that you have a trade-in (if you have one) until you have agreed on the new car's price.

Get the Consumer Report's new car report ($14), get their report on your trade-in ($12), bargain up from the CR bottom price, and you'll probably save yourself a couple thousand bucks (I know I did)... http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/index.htm
    Very useful information. Thank you. CN22

If you have lower back problems, you should shop for the
    vehicle with the best seats. IMO, American cars have the worst
    seats, European the best, with asian falling somewhere in between.
    You want power adjustable with rational, easy to use controls
    and lumbar support etc. In my experience, American luxury cars
    have seventeen buttons and joysticks that all do the same thing.
    If you want to adjust the back angle independent of other positions
    you have to use the legacy mechanical lever, or sledge hammer.

Land rover has nice seats, and a big price tag, you want really comfortable
    seats, buy a Saab, but they don't sell an SUV. I was always impressed by
    the Mitsubishi SUV, whatever they call it now. It's a real truck, not
    a toy like the RAV4. Subaru makes some nice 4 wheel drives (all
    of them are 4 wheel drive) and some of them have decent cargo
    space and approach off-road capability.

I'm leery of Ford explorer, since the rollover scandal. I remain convinced that
    it was more than just bad tires. I think Jeeps are shoddy, but if you have had a
    good experience with them, what can I say?

Gas mileage is paramount today. KIA makes a nice little SUV. Reminds me of the
    GEO tracker, another great one.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.