Thread: Sonicwall and Bluecoat

Hybrid View

Sonicwall and Bluecoat

Can anyone who has used or evaluated either of these applicances please give me your opinion on them? What are the strengths or weaknesses of either of these products? Would you deploy them?

Sonicwall as a firewall appliance and Blucoat as a web content filtering system (proxy).
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just Another Geek
    Bluecoats are quite good. Never had any problems with them. Easy to administer and update. They can handle a decent load without any problems.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I actually have a pair of Sonicwall's set up and they work pretty much without a hitch. They are the smaller units, SOHO3's. Easy to configure, easy to monitor. Pretty much I put them in place, and have updated the fireware a couple of times, otherwise they have been in operation 24/7 for years.
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Mr. Phishy, as you know, Cisco's CLI is a nightmare compared to the interface used to manage Sonicwall appliances. We have several here on a test lan and they are very easy to deal with. While they don't handle the complex rulesets in use with meh PIX boxen, they certainly work very well and have proven reliable.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thanks for the feedback. I've done a bit of searching around and there are a lot of others in the security community who echo similar responses. I had a discussion regarding a couple of security products the other day and these two products were brought up. I had never used them and most of what I could initially find out there was just marketing material. You know how that stuff reads...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

From what I have heard sonicwalls are great. So there 1 more person who says so!

I have a whole bunch of bluecoats and they work great. The only problem i find is if you are and ISP and deploy these devices across several clients it becomes a management nightmare. They work fine but you really need to know customers needs and then tweak the rules every few days to get the best results. Hope this helps you.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

sonic walls are great!
    Just make sure you keep up with the firmware updates, and they will preform great for you.
    We have them in all our remote offices and use them for firewall / vpn.

Can't comment on the other one though, sorry
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

One of my clients has a Sonic Wall that I manage. It has been in place for about 2 years with no issues and administration is fairly easy.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...