Thread: Help needed with backing up Outlook email folders and settings

Thumbs up Help needed with backing up Outlook email folders and settings

I just got a new PC... ( was the time for it ). I need to move all my Outlook Express mail from the old pc to this new one.. Anyone can help? ( I know how to move folders, but I don't know how to copy signatures, rules, settings, and contacts )

A bit more information would help:

1. What operating systems on both machines
    2. What filesystems?
    3. What version of outlook express (or IE)?
    4. How will you transfer?

The actual process is fairly simple as you just import from the old system into the new.................the problems are in figuring out to make the data available and effect a connection.

A question: how are you proposing to transfer all your other data and possibly applications?

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    There are wizards and automatic apps to do this kind of thing for you, which is what nihil may be looking at asking for more information.

The Manual Way:
    With Outlook Express you can export both your email folders and contacts, aswell as the actual email account settings.

Open Outlook Express, Select/highlight the top folder of your email folders. Click on the File Menu, Export, and then select messages, then repeat for your contacts if needed.

Next, Click on the Tools Menu, Accounts...
    Select the account you would like to export (probably only one there) and click on the export button.

In both cases you will need to select the location in which to save the exported file(s). You can then move these to your new computer by burning it to CD, network or thumb drive.

On the new PC, navigate to the same menu items, and select the import option. Select the files you copied from your old PC.

If your moving to a different email client, write down your email account settings as you cannot import the file to other apps except for Outlook Express. You will also need to re-enter your email password on the new PC, as this is not exported either. When you enter it, check the box that says, 'remember password' and all should be good.

CTO
    Last edited by CybertecOne; May 28th, 2007 at 12:54 PM.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

My questions are triggered by "I just got a new PC"................ how new?

If it is running XP the rules are different, if it is Vista I really don't know. What I do know is that it is an issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3130...578&sid=global

Lightbulb

2. Thank you all for your suggestions. I also found Outlook Express Backup Genie http://www.amicutilities.com/outlook-express-backup which does the job right and fast. I will try them out more and then buy one!
    Thanks again!

AOs Resident Troll
    you dont need to buy anything if you follow the MS articles...

As Nihil has stated...all depends on the OS

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    If it is running XP the rules are different, if it is Vista I really don't know. What I do know is that it is an issue:
    Issues like this are why i like the export/import methods. They seem clean and straight forward.

CTO
    Last edited by CybertecOne; May 28th, 2007 at 04:01 PM.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

If you export in CSV format you should be able to import the emails and address books into almost email program.