Thread: System recovery

Hybrid View

System recovery

Hello,

This evening, my mother booted the computer to send an e-mail, but as it didn't boot fast enough for her, she started to hit some keys and she hit F10 (That's the system recovery in compaq). Lucky, the data on the hard drive wasn't erased, but most programs don't function any more, the (wireless) connection is, and programs such as norton need to be fully updated again. It's like everything went back a couple of years, but the recent word documents are still there. Now I searched the entire compaq help-site to find a way to revert the system recovery, but that was in vain.
    Does any of you guys have any experience with this problem, and is there any way to revert the system recovery?

Kind regards

Unimatrix
    Got it Memorized?

No recovery points survived, I take it.

I have only used the Compaq recovery system once. It sets the system back to what it was when it left the factory.

Your personal data wasn't there then so it will survive, but anything else that shipped with the box will have reverted.

AFAIK there is no recovery because you have overwritten what was there

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    AFAIK there is no recovery because you have overwritten what was there
    Great! *sarcastic*

Anyway, thanks for helping.
    Got it Memorized?

Hi, Unimatrix,

There are some things you can do.

1. With MS and other applications you just run the online updating mechanisms, and they will bring you up to date.

2. Where you have "programs that do not work" this is a bit of a pain, but you should find that the folders are still there with all the software intact. Try running the application executable from within the folder, and the application should start.

What you need to do is recreate an icon on your desktop pointing to the executable.

When your mother ran the Compaq restore it would have overwritten the Registry so with any luck all you have to do is recreate the access paths.

If you have apps that write stuff to the System32 folder, then you will have to reinstall. You may also have lost some drivers, and have to reinstall those.

Hi nihil,

You were right about the applications, they function properly from within their folder, so that shoudn't be a problem.
    As for the online updating mechanism, I have to restore the connection to the internet first. 0_o
    And you were also right about a couple of drivers that need to be reinstalled.

Thanks again for the advice and information,
    Got it Memorized?

Hi Unimatrix,

You are welcome, manufacturers' recovery systems can be a bit tricky. At least with the Windows repair install or format and re-install you know exactly where you are

I saw this and wondered:

but as it didn't boot fast enough for her, she started to hit some keys and she hit F10
    I wonder what exactly happened? I am sure that your Mother knows exactly how long the machine takes to boot, so it makes me suspect that somehow it "froze" in the process?

When that happens I usually hit the "warm reboot" button (it may have a slight delay on it to make it pet and child proof )

You may have to set this in the BIOS or Windows power options?

I would certainly explain to her that each keystroke is an "instruction", so if it is having problems dealing with what it already has, then giving it more will only make things worse?

I would also recommend looking at your startup folder and only booting stuff that is absolutely needed from the start. For example I would not let MS Office start at bootup.

This helps to avoid possible conflicts and makes for a more stable environment, in my experience.

Good luck!