Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to connect to a IP

Starcraft used IPX. DoW should work fine over the internet, assuming the NAT is configured correctly. I've done it myself. 2 human v 2 Hard CPU = "challenge"
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Aardpsymon
    Starcraft used IPX.
    Starcraft came about sometime around 1998.

Yeah, as said above, IPX hasn't been used in quite a while, but it is still an available option on most games. As for the no games on wireless, LAN games seem to not like it very much. They recognize the connection, and will start the game, but somewhere in the middle of the game you *will* get kicked. Online games work fine, though (this has been the case on every wireless network I've been on, which there have been more than I can count).

As for the OP's problem, setup port forwarding. Should work fine after that.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    In the middle of the game when you get kicked, is it some kind of interference that drops the connection, or even in a completely stable w/less network would you still be d/c. I just dont think the game itself should be aware of what type of network it is running across, and thus *decide* to terminate a player during a game, there has to be more to it.

*scratches noggin*

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by delstar
    Yeah, as said above, IPX hasn't been used in quite a while, but it is still an available option on most games. As for the no games on wireless, LAN games seem to not like it very much. They recognize the connection, and will start the game, but somewhere in the middle of the game you *will* get kicked. Online games work fine, though (this has been the case on every wireless network I've been on, which there have been more than I can count).

As for the OP's problem, setup port forwarding. Should work fine after that.

There are plenty of options available to many programs, the point is, if you have the options set up incorrectly, the correct solution is not... changing the network to accommodate for them. You can justify all you want why you prefer not to use wireless for lan games, thats just your prefernce though... again, sorry, but have you been to a lan party recently?

In my house I have 3 wireless access points. DSL/4port/wireless to a netgear 4 port switch which has 2 linksys wrt54g connecting two it (ones a wrt54gl with dd-wrt). The wrt's are both on their own subnet. Ones DMZ'ed, the others a house access point. I can set up a game server connecting to any, of the devices and hit it from any of the other ones, wired or wifi.

You can not convince me without a specific example of a modern game, that wireless connections and lan games do not mix just because of the wireless. If you can name one that won't run over wifi that does not state the fact it can not be run over wireless in the system requirements for the network. I'll go out and buy it and if I can not get the game to run over a wireless network.... I'll eat my words.
    "I have died, I will die, It's alright, I don't mind"

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    If you can name one that won't run over wifi that does not state the fact it can not be run over wireless in the system requirements for the network. I'll go out and buy it and if I can not get the game to run over a wireless network.... I'll eat my words.
    Not sure who would agree with me here, but if a game wont connect across the wireless network, connecting everything together with cables without making any changes is not going to help.

Yes, the above does have exceptions but on the basic level where the wireless network is simply an extension of the wired network.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Haha Im sorry but saying games dont work on wireles is funny. Bottom line on this one is setup port forwarding or a vpn.
    http://portforward.com/ Check it out. Should be port 6112 for that game.

Quote Originally Posted by oofki
    Haha Im sorry but saying games dont work on wireles is funny. Bottom line on this one is setup port forwarding or a vpn.
    http://portforward.com/ Check it out. Should be port 6112 for that game.
    Just wondering oofki, how much caffeine have you had today, you have commented (at least once) to every thread on the main page.

Cheers:
    DjM

In all honesty 120mg. Thats all :-)