Thread: I'ma Vista newb.

In utter and endless vanity. Humbleness, oh how I miss thee.

I'ma Vista newb.

Okay, okay. Graduation time so I get a new laptop like everyone else. Trouble is, I'm used to having Zone Alarm and AVG and such freeware to protect my computer. It doesn't seem to be compatiable anymore. Vista users of antionline, what should I download to protect myself?
    This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch. The beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try and make us think it's for our own good, yet we are the criminals. Yes I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker and this is my manifesto. You may stop me but you can't stop us all.

That's right. I'm 10100111001.

GRISOFT, the maker of award-winning AVG Anti-Virus, today announced availability of AVG Anti-Virus and AVG plus Firewall protection for the Windows Vista environment. A programming error in Windows Vista Beta 2 was affecting the successful installation of security products supplied by GRISOFT. The bug has been fixed by Microsoft allowing users of GRISOFT products to effectively complete installation.

"Public testing of operating systems and application software is a great way to get feedback from users and allows the developer to make changes to suit demands of people who will use the products for their work and entertainment," said Karel Obluk, CTO of GRISOFT. "We are pleased that the bug was discovered and corrected in cooperation with Microsoft this quickly and that our customers can use our products in the upcoming generation of Microsoft Windows".

GRISOFT AVG users can acquire the update via Automatic Updates service for Windows Vista. After application of the update, AVG products can be installed and used without any further problems or restrictions.

http://www.osnn.net/comments.php?shownews=13182
    O.G at A.O

In utter and endless vanity. Humbleness, oh how I miss thee.

Firewall

Yes, well maybe I'm just having trouble downloading it it seems. I don't have a firewall though. I mean, besides the vista firewall, but is that one really good enough? I am going into the field of computer forensics this fall so I'm just trying to get up to date.
    This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch. The beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try and make us think it's for our own good, yet we are the criminals. Yes I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker and this is my manifesto. You may stop me but you can't stop us all.

That's right. I'm 10100111001.

Did you know that Windows Vista and ME have a lot in common..
    They Both SUCK!!!

Personally I would fdisk the poor computer and install XP Pro on it...
    It will work alot better.... If you are a Linux GEEK you might try
    one of the Linux OS's. I have not tried Cent OS as a desktop
    but Version 5 just came out for both 32 and 64 bit CPU's
    www.centos.org

PS: I know it is a Red Hat Knock Off!!!
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

try the e-trust antivirus from Computer Associates.

it comes with 1 yr free trial for vista users.

might give it a shot....works fine on my vista business edition!
    CodeNameVirus

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    CA Antivirus has had a good track record IMO. Used to be known as VET Antivirus, and think they still use that name.

I never know it came with a trial for vista, but thought i would vouch for its stability and effectiveness. You can easily compare it to the biggest leaders.

NB: Opinion only through experience. Some/None/ALL may disagree.

Cheers!

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Well, congrats on the move to Vista. I'd recommend spending the money and getting yourself a good AV solution like Kaspersky, TrendMicro or NOD32. Alot of programs are becoming Vista compliant. Be patient.

Highlander, great advice. That's brilliant.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton