Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cantenna

cantenna

I know this isn't really wireless security, but it has to do with wireless networking, so I decided to post here. I have bought a Netgear WG111, and want to use it in a cantenna. Ive gotten an image of the inside if the card:
    http://prism54.org/images/wg111_1.jpeg
    (I think the plates on the top and bottom are the antenna)
    Anyway, im not very knowlegable on antenna theory, and I'm wondering how to do this, and I'm not sure how exact everything has to be. I've read online, and they seem to go with the 100mm diameter can, which i have. When Ive read, it has said to put it 44-45mm away from the back of the can, but im not sure about the distance between the two 'plates' in the card, and how much that offsets the wavelegnths. From a comparison from the picture to the card I have, I'm thinking the ouside of the metal plates in the card are about 5-6mm apart. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
    [edit]
    oh yea, and I have another question along the same lines. If I have this card, which when in the vertical position should be emitting horrozontally, and there is a bolt under it, will that affect the radio waves?
    ex
    can:
    antenna facing down on top
    |-|------
    | |
    |
    |-+------
    bolt (+) on opposite side of can
    Last edited by metguru; June 10th, 2007 at 03:10 AM.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Ya know, Orinoco makes a really nice antenna kit that isn't ghetto like the cantenna stuff you've seen. Most wireless cards can be fitted with nifty stuff (with l33t names like war driving kit) for around $50.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Yes, I already know about antenna kits, but I'm wanting to see how much I can get out of something that I have made myself, as opposed to the antenna without anything at all.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    The best home made antenna that I've seen and made is the pringles can antenna. Google it.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Isn't is actually illegal to put a pringles can on a wireless can now. I heard something stupid like that before. But it is the cheapest way to snipe a signal.

The results surprised me! In our test, the Flickenger Pringles can did a little better than my modified Pringles design. Both did no better than the Lucent omnidirectional. Now this is just on raw signal strength, noise rejection due to directivity still makes a directional antenna a better choice for some uses even if there is no gain benefit. The waveguides all soundly trounced the Pringles can designs. I mean they stomped them into the ground on signal strength - as much as 9 dB better. Every three dB is a doubling in power - that's three doublings (8x increase)!

Of the waveguides, the Nalley's "Big Chunk" took top marks. It was followed by the Hunts Pasta Sauce, my modified coffee can, and the Flickenger coffee can in that order. My three waveguide designs, which utilized the correct theoretical spacing, out performed the Flickenger Yuban coffee can handily. It seems that the design formulas for the waveguide design made a sizeable difference in performance. In the yagis, it didn't matter much. This could be because neither Rob's nor my designs are anywhere near right for optimum performance for a Yagi. I've decided that Yagi design is not for the timid or non-radio-expert.
    From what this says on http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html
    it says that the cantenna works better than the pringles can, and is easier to make anyway, so I figured I should make that one. But... I think i read it wrong..

oofki,

Isn't is actually illegal to put a pringles can on a wireless can now. I heard something stupid like that before. But it is the cheapest way to snipe a signal.
    Yes I heard something similar, but I believe they were cases of misinterpreting the law and/or misreporting?

AFAIK the actual equipment is not illegal, however, what you use it for may well be. I have a crowbar in my garage............ that is perfectly legal, but if I were to wander the streets at night with it, I would almost certainly be arrested

That said, most countries have rules regarding interference and signal strength. I think that is 100mW in the UK which would give you a range of about 1 mile. Better performance can be obtained by using paired antennae where one transmits and the other is a dedicated receiver.

Whats wrong with wondering streets with crowbars? Hell it would be funny to chase random people with them!

Anyways I guess they are illegal in CA
    http://edge.i-hacked.com/cantennas-a...-illegal-in-ca

But from what I have been reading in most cases where articles said that they are illegal the people who got caught were also hacking so it really doesnt have to do with them being illegal.

Actually the policeman was misquoted. Two students were arrested for hacking into their school's computer and trying to change their grades.......... the cantenna was incidental to this act.

San Diego is in California............... here is the website of a local company........... do you think that they could manufacture and sell them if they were illegal?

http://wirelessgardenstore.com/Searc...x?CategoryID=4

I think the misunderstanding comes about over the concept of "possession with intent" (to commit a crime).

Well good thing I always take out the trash I might be suspected of a crime!