Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disassembly of KDS Valiant 6380iPTD laptop

Disassembly of KDS Valiant 6380iPTD laptop

Hey all, Im looking for anyone who has disassebled a Kds valiant laptop. I believe that the cpu heatsink fans are cloged with dust and lint. Im willing to call someone in the continental U.S.

Ive googled my eyeballs out for a site with a disassembly manual or how to get at the heatsink. No luck so far. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    \\\\Everlasting

I don't think you will find any manuals apart from one on creative accountancy:

http://www.sec.gov/litigation/admin/33-8104.htm

And the Korean parent co. is not much better, as they haven't filed financials for three years............just as they claimed to have broken even.

http://www.corporateinformation.com/...usip=C410K6570

I believe they dropped out of the laptop market in 2002, which from the second link would seem to be when the company was restructured? There are no support sites that I am aware of, so it would seem that the business was not sold on?

I would suggest trying this:

1. Lift lid and slide back hinge covers.
    2. Remove power button panel.
    3. Remove keyboard screws.
    4. Lift keyboard up and out.

WARNING! On some models you also have to lift the left shift key and remove the small screw under there

That should get you into the guts of the machine, after that you are on your own.

From what little I remember they had the same reputation as Packard Bell (before NEC bought them out).

Good luck!

Incidentally, sometimes a powerful vacuum cleaner will do the job.

Thanks a bunch. the laptop company was called KDS computers. WOW i had no idea that kds stood for Korea data systems. Crazy commy pinko's.

well im going to bring the laptop with me to technical skool today so i can get the A+ teacher to watch me and make sure i dont fux up too bad.
    Last edited by xenogamer; June 13th, 2007 at 01:21 PM.
    \\\\Everlasting

Yes, actually they are South Korean.

Used to be very big in VDUs with about 3,500,000 units a year. Back in the late 1990's they teamed up with another Korean outfit (Trigem) to manufacture and sell "e-machines". Apart from the SEC business, they had copyright problems with Compaq and possibly Apple

Remember that there may be a small screw under the left-hand upper shift key.

well the fan wasn't clogged. It now seems the problem is the fan sensor. So i guess the laptop is permanently out of commission, unless someone has an extra one they dont want.
    \\\\Everlasting

xenogamer,

I am guessing that it is one of those stupid "two little fans in a plastic mounting that only we have forgotten how to source; and by the way, we went out of business five years ago" ?

I did hear tell of one of those changing hands for $90 (USD!!!!!) about 4 years ago.

Please tell me what happens when you power it up............. you didn't mention it in your earlier posts.

A ray of hope might be if the BIOS allows you to set the fan speed detection mode. Like if the sensor has crapped out and you can set "autodetect" to "off", then the damn thing should just run at full belt all the time?

Otherwise look at stripping it and selling the parts on e-bay ()

No, I have not lost my sanity, just take a look at this for a "reconditioned" 3.5" floppy drive!!!!

http://www.codemicro.com/store/check...?partid=896803

Hell, where I live, I would expect them to throw the whole laptop in for that?

Incidentally, you said:

It now seems the problem is the fan sensor
    What makes you think that? Also, what sensor are you talking about?........the fan's RPM or the CPU temperature?

A bit after turning it on there is a small square that pop's up with a thermomiter with a circle with a slash thought it (like the ghostbuster symbol) I flipped though the bios and cant find any thing dealing with fans

EDIT:
    OMFG i found the fan control in the bios but the enter and up down keys dont work. Even when i plug in a different key board. This is really pissing me off.

EDIT:
    Reseated the ribbon cable for the keyboard and it started working again. so woot. ill post an update about changing the fan setting in a bit. Before it was set to quiet mode now im changing it to performance mode.
    Last edited by xenogamer; June 14th, 2007 at 07:33 PM.
    \\\\Everlasting

Well, that certainly sounds like an improvement? I would think that the "performance" setting will have the fan going at full speed.

I am sorry, but I have only worked on about 4 of these things ever. two of them were German and marketed under a different name. I honestly can't remember the models All I ever did was upgrade memory/HDDs.......... I think one had a dead HDD?

Is there some sort of "PC health" setting? There might be a cut-off temperature setting in there........... try 49/50C if you can. This might be in a manufacturer's management package?

If you have attempted to overclock it please stop now! bog standard lappies are NOT for overclocking. I mean the video as well as the CPU!!!

Hey! chill out man! I haven't told you to dig out your Dremel yet have I?

Please keep me informed

lol i wouldnt dream of oc'ing this junker :P

no pc health option

still cuts off after a lil bit.
    Last edited by xenogamer; June 14th, 2007 at 11:20 PM.
    \\\\Everlasting

OK, time for a different move?

The machine is a PIII/800MHz so it is probably 6 years old or more?

I would try removing the heatsink and cleaning its base, and the top of the processor. Then replace the thermal paste/grease with some silver based stuff like Antec or Arctic Silver. that stuff is like twenty times more effective than the white gunk that is used as standard.

Please follow the instructions very carefully as it is as bad to have too much as too little.

Remember that 6 years is quite a good life for a laptop, and certainly for standard thermal grease.

EDIT: I am guessing that your thermal sensor is actually working OK. In my experience when they fail they actually stop recording and just leave you exposed to frying things.

I have never seen one go defective by recording falsely high temperatures.

So, if you fans are actually working, that would suggest that there is inadequate heat transference between the CPU and the heatsink......... hence the replace thermal grease idea.

N.B. You may not actually have any thermal grease there at all............ it might be a thermal patch that has perished/deteriorated. You would need to remove that and replace it with the silver grease.
    Last edited by nihil; June 14th, 2007 at 11:44 PM.